Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I'm Know You Get This Question A Lot, But . . .

alreu
alreu Member Posts: 3
Hi Heating Help community--I sorted through a bunch of old posts relating to shutting off a radiator, but didn't run across any that looked quite like mine. Pictures attached below. Wondering which part I should be turning clockwise. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It looks like you have a hot water system that someone repiped with pex. I would try to find a way to protect that piping.

There is not a shutoff in the picture. There may be a manifold with a valve in the mechanical room or cellar. Follow the red spaghetti and post more pictures.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • george_42
    george_42 Member Posts: 121
    It looks like you may have regular pex on that system which will allow oxygen to enter your water and corrode your heating system
  • Zman
    Good catch. It looks like the sharkbite pex with O2 barrier is orange.
    I sure hope this is a homeowner job. paying for workmanship like that would be a crime.
    Albert Einstein
    kcoppSuperTech
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    There isn't a valve on that, so by those pictures you can't turn it off.

Are you a renter or owner?

Agree with above that is a garbage install.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • alreu
    I'm a renter in New York, so the work was probably haphazardly done by a super at one time or another. I'll pass that info about the regular pex on to the super. Looks like I need access to the basement, I'll see what I can do. Thanks!
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    In the meantime, I’ll give you the same advice I gave my mother (none of her shutoff valves work) - if it’s too hot in that room and you want the radiator off, drape a heavy blanket over it. Works wonders.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    Zman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If that room is overheating you could cover the radiator with a heavy quilt or rug. Drape it over the top. The rad should never exceed 160-180 degrees.
  • Zman
    JUGHNE said:

If that room is overheating you could cover the radiator with a heavy quilt or rug. Drape it over the top. The rad should never exceed 160-180 degrees.

This is probably your best option.
    Albert Einstein
  • alreu
    Thanks! I've got just the quilt for the job. Last night really was murder—a blasting radiator, a wide open window, and nyc street noise.