Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

I'm Know You Get This Question A Lot, But . . .

alreualreu Posts: 3Member
Hi Heating Help community--I sorted through a bunch of old posts relating to shutting off a radiator, but didn't run across any that looked quite like mine. Pictures attached below. Wondering which part I should be turning clockwise. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• ZmanZman Posts: 5,041Member
    It looks like you have a hot water system that someone repiped with pex. I would try to find a way to protect that piping.

There is not a shutoff in the picture. There may be a manifold with a valve in the mechanical room or cellar. Follow the red spaghetti and post more pictures.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • george_42george_42 Posts: 62Member
    It looks like you may have regular pex on that system which will allow oxygen to enter your water and corrode your heating system
    Good catch. It looks like the sharkbite pex with O2 barrier is orange.
    I sure hope this is a homeowner job. paying for workmanship like that would be a crime.
    Albert Einstein
  • KC_JonesKC_Jones Posts: 4,143Member
    There isn't a valve on that, so by those pictures you can't turn it off.

Are you a renter or owner?

Agree with above that is a garbage install.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202744301871904.1073741828.1330391881&type=1&l=c34ad6ee78
  • alreualreu Posts: 3Member
    I'm a renter in New York, so the work was probably haphazardly done by a super at one time or another. I'll pass that info about the regular pex on to the super. Looks like I need access to the basement, I'll see what I can do. Thanks!
  • FranklinDFranklinD Posts: 399Member
    In the meantime, I’ll give you the same advice I gave my mother (none of her shutoff valves work) - if it’s too hot in that room and you want the radiator off, drape a heavy blanket over it. Works wonders.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,848Member
    If that room is overheating you could cover the radiator with a heavy quilt or rug. Drape it over the top. The rad should never exceed 160-180 degrees.
    JUGHNE said:

If that room is overheating you could cover the radiator with a heavy quilt or rug. Drape it over the top. The rad should never exceed 160-180 degrees.

This is probably your best option.
    Albert Einstein
  • alreualreu Posts: 3Member
    Thanks! I've got just the quilt for the job. Last night really was murder—a blasting radiator, a wide open window, and nyc street noise.