Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kero or Oil

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
What is the collective wisdom on when kerosene is needed? Customer's tank is in unheated porch with 1/2" soft copper line to filter which is located in crawlspace where scorched air furnace is.

This setup looks like it would be ok for oil, but I am a commercial guy. This was just a favor for a friend. The porch is completely enclosed, what temperature would be safe for this setup? I was thinking above zero maybe.

Thanks for the collective wisdom!
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• SeymourCates
    SeymourCates Member Posts: 162
    Two pipe with additive when it gets to -10C or below. Never a problem when you move 2.5 gpm through the lines (3/8")
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    personally hate two pipe. In extreme cold it causes moisture in the tank which leads to freezeup.
    Add a bottle of Hot to each fill up and top feed from the tank. Add a tigerloop in side to warm the oil for the burner...
    pecmsgRobert O'BrienHVACNUT
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    lchmb said:

personally hate two pipe. In extreme cold it causes moisture in the tank which leads to freezeup.
    Add a bottle of Hot to each fill up and top feed from the tank. Add a tigerloop in side to warm the oil for the burner...

I'll go with that one. Some oil companies -- the one I deal with for example -- put anti-gel (like Hot) in all the oil they deliver in the colder weather -- mostly because at least some of it is used in diesel off-road equipment (yes it's legal) as well as home heating, and there you have to have it (ever try to start a big tractor in the cold when you didn't have anti-gel? Frustrating...).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited January 2018
    I suspect the oil/tank to get to zero degreesF. I was thinking of advising them to build an insulated enclosure around the tank and get some heat from the house to the tank, as the tank shares a wall with the poorly insulated house.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160

I suspect the oil/tank to get to zero degreesF. I was thinking of advising them to build an insulated enclosure around the tank and get some heat from the house to the tank, as the tank shares a wall with the poorly insulated house.

That wouldn't hurt either... :)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540

Two pipe with additive when it gets to -10C or below. Never a problem when you move 2.5 gpm through the lines (3/8")

2.5 GPM? A Suntec does under 20GPH on 2 pipe or .33 GPM
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    You could build an insulated enclosure around the tank and then plug a 100w incandescent light bulb under the tank. That would warm up the oil a bit.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    They also make oil line heaters for the pickup, and nozzle line heaters for the burner.
    I think a 25% kero blend gets you down to -25. I used to have a chart when I used to blend.
    I'd bag the 2 pipe, maybe go with a tiger loop inside, but definitely an enclosure and/or heat tape w/thermostat on the fuel line.
    steve