Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fluke, need some advice

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
I lost (for the moment) my Fluke multimeter that could utilize this clamp on set up.

I can't get the clamp on set up to work with this Fluke

Do I need another Fluke (like the one I lost), or should this set up work? It won't show temp no matter what setting or button i push; it's got a new 9v battery too.

Thanks, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Or any meter that has the "K" terminal connection.

I have a $50 Field Peice DMM that I've had for years that I plug my Fluke clamp directly into. Works great.

Other than wanting to sell another component, IDK why Fluke won't offer the direct "K" connection on their meters.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GW
    thanks, that set up i have 'should' work; it certainly fits. I just don't know if i have some sort of compatibility issue or if my 80TH stopped working. I need a guy with vast multi meter knowledge to chime in!

I may just by a cheap Fieldpiece unit to get me through. When you need a clamp on, you really need it!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    I ordered this form the local vendor

https://www.amazon.com/hilmor-Dual-Readout-Thermometer-1839106/dp/B00FMFM272

Costs more but hey whatever

If anyone has any input on my existing fluke set up please let me know
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Ironman
    GW said:

I ordered this form the local vendor

https://www.amazon.com/hilmor-Dual-Readout-Thermometer-1839106/dp/B00FMFM272

Costs more but hey whatever

If anyone has any input on my existing fluke set up please let me know

:):) Hilmore's good stuff.

Bob Boan
  • GW
    well after i ordered the new clamp on thermometer i found my missing Fluke, of well. I don't know why this Fluke works with the k couple adapter and the other Fluke doesn't

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Ironman
    It may have been the scale you set it to. Something in the back of my mind says that you have to use something other than the temp scale.
    Bob Boan
  • GW
    Yes the fluke 16 works in DC scale. The Fluke 324 I tried all sorts of settings, zip. I need to chat with a multimeter geek
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Ah. Were you, perchance, using the temp scale on the 324? The 80TK is a K-type thermocouple temperature-to-volt adapter. You'd need to use the DC volt scale, then it'd be one volt per ° F (or C if, you know, metric). Since the 324 has a temp scale, I'd imagine that you could use one of these as well, but the 80TK will work on any meter with a DCV scale that you could plug the adapter in to.
  • GW
    Ok thanks I’ll try again for basic curiosity. I thought I did that but I’ll try again
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Flukes thermometers are great thermometers
    Flukes DMM's are horrible thermometers
    Fluke told me that after complaining about the inaccuracies of 2 #16's and 2 # 116's ive owned. i now have a very accurate albeit expensive #54 thermometer
    JMHO
  • GW
    wow! that's some money
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    When I'm looking for accuracy, I use my Fluke 724 temperature calibrator...

It'll read or simulate a dozen kinds of thermocouples and a handful of RTD sensors. Sometimes it's nice to be able to fool the controls, to see what it's going to do. If it did the high-resistance thermisitors (like 10 & 20 kΩ) it'd be perfect.

• GW
    my new Hilmore is 1 or 2 degrees off (two clamps, same pipe). Oh well. I don't require super accuracy, often times i just need a basic contract.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    Yah, if you read the specs, most consumer-grade temp stuff is only good for ±2°—I'm always violently angryamused when customers complain that the thermostat and thermometer right beside it don't agree to 1000 PPM.

I truly think the industry as a whole would be well served to go to an arbitrary scale of say "A, B, C, D" on thermostats.

GW
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited December 2017
    @GW The problem you may be having is the meter you tried to use doesn't have a low enough DC volts scale. I have one of those Fluke temperature probes and it works fine with all my digital multimeters (Fluke 8060's, 8100, and a 75).

On some autoranging meters you have to manually nudge the meter into the lowest scale where it would work with that Fluke temp probe.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • GW
    Thanks Bob makes perfect sense
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com