Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

from rags to riches

newagedawn
newagedawn Member Posts: 586
latest install was fun knowing how much oil this customer will save!!!!!! from 1500 to estimated 500 WOW !!!!!! now thats savings
"The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
njtommy

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Looks good!! Nice and neat. What did you replace??

a couple of nitpicks

blowdown pipe on indirect relief valve

Id rather see a pc of 1/2" EMT or PVC conduit run from the indirect up to a floor joist as a sleeve for the low voltage going to the indirect instead of the tyraps on the cold water line
    newagedawn
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Nice install.... I like the Taco zone valves....don't see too many of those being install these days....there great valves
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    newagedawn
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Pretty sqaured away. Very good job, man. Mad. Dog
    newagedawn
  • My nitpick: Next time try putting your purge station on the supply just before the air scoop with a shutoff between. Works like a charm.

When you purge on the returns you won't be able to purge through the boiler, and usually there is a big old air pocket in there.

Otherwise, looks very nice.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    newagedawn
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2017
    I like piping the indirect as a zone with a valve. Also I've had great luck with the stainless Heat-Flo indirects, very well made.

Only beef: I've found that copper female adapters to leak in a few years, especially on the indirect. I use iron couplings on the heating side and brass couplings on the domestic side with copper male adapters.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • newagedawn
    thanks for the insight, "Quote" rel="EBEBRATT-Ed"> blowdown pipe on indirect relief valve,

good eyes my friend have to go back to do that very thing,lol
    Paul S said:

Nice install.... I like the Taco zone valves....don't see too many of those being install these days....there great valves

in this area they are popular, so i use em

My nitpick: Next time try putting your purge station on the supply just before the air scoop with a shutoff between. Works like a charm.

When you purge on the returns you won't be able to purge through the boiler, and usually there is a big old air pocket in there.

i agree but that air seperator is a great thing, works great!!!

I like piping the indirect as a zone with a valve. Also I've had great luck with the stainless Heat-Flo indirects, very well made.

Only beef: I've found that copper female adapters to leak in a few years, especially on the indirect. I use iron couplings on the heating side and brass couplings on the domestic side with copper male adapters.

yes, heat flo is a great value, ive been using them for yrs now and no problems yet!!! and they have great recovery rates even with 3/4 pipe,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • newagedawn
    edited November 2017
    replaced a 1950's clunker that would have outlasted me, but just isnt efficient anymore
  • newagedawn

Looks good!! Nice and neat. What did you replace??

a couple of nitpicks

blowdown pipe on indirect relief valve

Id rather see a pc of 1/2" EMT or PVC conduit run from the indirect up to a floor joist as a sleeve for the low voltage going to the indirect instead of the tyraps on the cold water line

good eyes my friend, going back to do that very thing,lol
  • newagedawn
    Paul S said:

yes, they are popular around this area
  • newagedawn

My nitpick: Next time try putting your purge station on the supply just before the air scoop with a shutoff between. Works like a charm.

yes your spot on, but that air seperator works wonders
  • newagedawn
    edited November 2017

heat flo's are a great value,been using them for a while and no problems yet, and the recovery is awesome even with 3/4 pipe
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2017
    Nice work!

Have you tried the new style Taco Zone Sentry valves?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Nice work as others have mentioned, the one major thing I would’ve liked to see is at lest 12x the pipe diameter of straight pipe on the pump discharge before a fitting or valve.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856