Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Octogenarian Marries Two Youngsters

Ironman
Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
This 100+ year old system was originally coal fired, gravity flow. Someone converted it to forced flow, gas fired with this beast 50+ years ago:

The old gal was still chugging along at 472k btus.

The new owners wisely decided that they needed something more efficient after a March natural gas bill of $1,000.

The load calc came to 195k btus with a design temp of 10*. More than enough for Staunton, VA where ACCA specs 14*. It's interesting that the EDR came to 227k btus and when I ran the load calc with a design temp of 0*, it came to 227k btus also. It was common many years ago to use 0* design temp around here. The dead men may have been a lot more scientific than we give them credit for.

We chose to go with two HTP UFT 120 boilers + a 40 gal. indirect. Because we were going with 2 boilers and we also wanted to protect the new boilers from rust and debris from the old system, we made our own LLH/dirt separator/MBR. Don't ask what's inside: it's top secret.

Bob Boan
You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
kcoppRich_49HenryHarvey Ramer

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Roll of gritt cloth? :lol:
    Ironman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    rolled up pc of expanded metal and a magnet
    Ironman
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Do you plan on installing a mag filter or treating the system w/ an inhibitor?
  • Ironman
    kcopp said:

Do you plan on installing a mag filter or treating the system w/ an inhibitor?

Sorry, but I can't answer that at this time.
    Bob Boan
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    I love secrets:

Work looks great, even if mysterious...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    kcoppCanuckerIronman
  • Ironman
    A few almost final pics. One of my men is gonna spray paint the header tomorrow.

Bob Boan
    Harvey RamerNew England SteamWorks
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    National US Radiator. We had one in the house I grew up in. Would have had coal snowman when built and in the 50s the gas boiler and pump was installed. Heated great. Split open a year after the gas valve stuck open and about blew the thing to the moon. I'm still amazed my Dad knew how to shut off the gas to it! In 1989 a WM HE was installed then the folks moved out.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    @Ironman is that cell-core pvc for venting?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Maybe for air inlet only?
  • Ironman

@Ironman is that cell-core pvc for venting?

Just on the intakes; the exhausts are schedule 40. I wondered how long it would be before someone asked that.
    Bob Boan
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • cgdelzell
    cgdelzell Member Posts: 22
    I need some education please. I have always found that you do not screw copper into steel, when did it become OK to do that?
  • Danny Scully
    It’s a closed system @cgdelzell, less of a concern. But I’m wondering about the bushings on the gas piping @Ironman? That’s allowed in your area?
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    I like it. But maybe you could just whisper to us the top secret bits, and no one else will be the wiser?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Seeing how Schedule 40 PVC can only handle 140 degrees I assume these boilers operate at a low water temperature?
  • Ironman
    edited October 2017

It’s a closed system @cgdelzell, less of a concern. But I’m wondering about the bushings on the gas piping @Ironman? That’s allowed in your area?

The IFGC prohibits cast iron bushings, but the UPC allows them. Brass, steel and stainless bushings are okay according to the IFGC. That 1 1/4 X 3/4 bushing is the thickest fitting in the line. IDK why the IFGC still prohibits them. That would be a good question for @Tim McElwain .

If you have a Honeywell replacement gas valve on your truck that says 1/2 X 3/4, you'll find a 3/4 X 1/2 bushing included.

captainco said:

Seeing how Schedule 40 PVC can only handle 140 degrees I assume these boilers operate at a low water temperature?

PVC is rated for 149*, not 140. But the pipe manufacturer does not certify it for appliance venting, the APPLIANCE manufacturer does that. HTP certifies PVC venting for that boiler as long as the included CPVC nipple is used. The boiler has a flue temp sensor which limits flue gas temp to 145* inside the boiler. Keep in mind that flue gas temps drop quickly as they move down the pipe.

Bob Boan
    MilanDSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman

I like it. But maybe you could just whisper to us the top secret bits, and no one else will be the wiser?

Maybe a little down the road.
    Bob Boan
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Dressed up a little:

Bob Boan
  • Danny Scully
    We’re ignoring you and all your subsequent posts until you tell us what’s in it :wink:
    IronmanSolid_Fuel_Mankcopp
  • Ironman
    edited October 2017
    Soon. I may be able to tell one of the ingredients soon. We're still testing.
    Bob Boan
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I'll guess 1/4" steel mesh formed into a roll
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I'm guessing some stainless steel wool....and some type of magnet in there.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I have done both on a couple of my prefabbed headers...
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Duh *It's water.
    Danny ScullySolid_Fuel_Man