Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flooded HVAC equipment...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
edited September 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Does anyone know the NFPA 54 chapter and verse on protocol for a water heater that has been subject to submersion/flood of water?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,176
    It's on page 46, if you get tired of scrolling...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    perfect!
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I know they'll be those who disagree, but I always just replace flooded equipment. For me, there is no level of flooding that's acceptable. I also don't think a customers budget is an acceptable excuse. Apologies in advance @kcopp if this thread goes off on this tangent :lol:
    Ironmanj a_2Dan Foley
  • kcopp
    Nope... I agree.
    I told the customer this. I was actually just going to the home to replace the thermocouple. After I relight everything and note that the pilot flame is weak does she tell me that the unit had been partially submerged a month ago....
    The unit is 16 years old anyways.

• BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Thanks for posting this, and its should end all arguments about this subject.
    kcopp
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    there only appears to be 44 pgs. ??
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801

I know they'll be those who disagree, but I always just replace flooded equipment. For me, there is no level of flooding that's acceptable. I also don't think a customers budget is an acceptable excuse. Apologies in advance @kcopp if this thread goes off on this tangent :lol:

Dan you are dead on with my thinking....Yup others will disagree, and that's just fine..As a professional, it's totally up to you....They can best save money on dinners out. JMO
  • kcopp
    I am replacing the unit this week.
    Odd thing is the have a gas water heater w/ a 115 Buderus oil boiler.
    I pitched a 40 gallon HTP SS Pro. Made sense instead of having the oil boiler sit idle all summer.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    FEMA will not cover repair of any flooded equipment only replacement.
    kcopp