Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wireless thermostats

We currently have a pair of high volgage thermostats controlling our oil burner (40 year old house in Northeast). We'd like to put in thermostats that are controlled by phone, but found that our wiring won't support low voltage thermostats.
Now for my $64K question. Since thermostats can be controlled remotely via phones. Why not have a thermostat trigger a switch at the boiler to go on/off via the same technology? Does such a system exist? It would enable me to avoid an expensive rewiring job.
Thanks for any suggestions / ideas.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No problem. It's called a relay... the relay is controlled by the wireless thermostat (and the whole thing will need an appropriate 24 volt supply and wiring and all) and it in turn controls the heating system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I hope you have line voltage thermostats and not high voltage :) But @Jamie Hall has pointed you in the right direction.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    From your other thread, I don't think you're explaining your situation correctly. Your A/C company proposed to install a WiFi thermostat, not wireless, correct? You would like to convert your heating system to low low voltage control circuits so as to merge your A/C and heat (1 zone) into one thermostat.
    The 4 figure estimate you got from your oil company, sounds like they want to go wireless with an interface module for your 2 heat zones. You would still have to use a seperate A/C thermostat.
    Like @JUGHNE said on June 27th, the A/C company should have a tech. with controls knowledge. Ask and get an estimate, or better yet, click "find a contractor in your area" at the top of the page and get an estimate for your A/C and boiler controls conversion.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    wifi needs 24 volts to work and so does the wifi t stat, hope that makes sense? most need 4 wires but you need more if its heat and cool, pull a 7 wire
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Bigdaddrock
    Bigdaddrock Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, but I need to revise my inquiry.
    I am looking for a means of communicating from the thermostat to the boiler without wires.
    The oil company tech told me I would need a new run of wires to accommodate the wifi thermostat and 24 volt configuration (this was with a burdensome cost).
    As result, am now seeking solution that would NOT REQUIRE rewiring from thermostat to boiler. Does such an arrangement exist?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170

Thanks, but I need to revise my inquiry.
    I am looking for a means of communicating from the thermostat to the boiler without wires.
    The oil company tech told me I would need a new run of wires to accommodate the wifi thermostat and 24 volt configuration (this was with a burdensome cost).
    As result, am now seeking solution that would NOT REQUIRE rewiring from thermostat to boiler. Does such an arrangement exist?

Not that I'm aware of as any sort of stock item. I dare say that a good geek could probably rig something involving an Arduino or two and some additional components and some relays...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can have WiFi, or you can have wireless, but you can't have both.
    Try calling Honeywell 1-800-468-1502
    Bigdaddrock
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Well, you can have a RedLINK (Honeywell's wireless brand) thermostat that will communicate to an equipment module and a RedLINK gateway that plugs into your home router. That still leaves a relay or something between the equipment module (which is designed to control low voltage equipment) & the line voltage controls of the boiler. Shouldn't be too difficult. Honeywell even has a demo of the phone app—search for "Honeywell Total Connect Comfort" & see if it's what you're looking for.
    Bigdaddrock
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    As Jamie Hall indicated, I don't think the solution you are seeking exists. What's more, it's got to be a whole lot cheaper and more reliable to purchase a roll of thermostat wire and do a little drilling and drywall patching to get the wire from the thermostat to the boiler than to set up wireless switching.
  • Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
    ratio said:

Well, you can have a RedLINK (Honeywell's wireless brand) thermostat that will communicate to an equipment module and a RedLINK gateway that plugs into your home router. That still leaves a relay or something between the equipment module (which is designed to control low voltage equipment) & the line voltage controls of the boiler. Shouldn't be too difficult. Honeywell even has a demo of the phone app—search for "Honeywell Total Connect Comfort" & see if it's what you're looking for.</blockquote

Listen to Ratio..... he's right on.

I've sold numerous Redlink wireless systems and they work well. Find someone in your area familiar with the technology. They aren't that difficult but can be for someone who has no experience with them.

Terry O
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    I stand corrected on the wireless solution. RedLINK looks like a real useful solution for the issue Bigdaddrock is facing.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Yeah, I'm forced to not dislike it, as it's been nothing but reliable for me. A RedLINK 6000 kit is my go-to for the oops-we-need-wireless jobs.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    The Vision Pro line uses Redlink communications. Get a Vision Pro for the wall, it communicates wirelessly with the equipment module. Can get a WiFi Gateway to control stuff by an app or PC.