Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does my boiler have a low water cutoff switch?

roadstir
roadstir Member Posts: 1
I am selling a house and the buyer's home inspector says the boiler needs a low water safety cutoff switch. However, a friend told me that most, if not all, boiler come with one installed. It is an oil Vaillant Model F75-W-55
Many thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    LWCO, pressure switches, aquastats, water feeders, gauges -- all that sort of thing is trim. It may or may not have been installed -- although it certainly should have been -- but they don't come installed.

Take pictures of all the controls on the boiler and we may be able to tell.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Most hot water boilers do NOT come with a LWCO; it's usually an accessory.

Like Jamie said, some pics would be helpful.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Requirements for low water cut offs on residential hot water boilers is a fairly recent requirement and not in all jurisdictions.

They are an important safety control but may not have been required in your area at the time the boiler was installed which would make your installation still legal.

tell the "home inspector" to pound sand, they always wan't more than they can get
    CanuckerZman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Vallant hasn't been sold in the US for over 15 years now. A good product, but that time frame makes it doubtful that your jurisdiction would have required a LWCO at that time.

Like Ed said, home inspectors can be real fountains of misinformation.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Canucker
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    where are you located, your local code might not require it, those jack of all master of none idiots are a real pain in the butt, they take a 6 month course and think they know all about your house, here in CT they are a real joke, dont get me started on these guys,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Home inspectors - now there's a term. Really good for buyers to negotiate you down, not so for sellers, charge buyer an arm and a leg, and most lenders require it... Agreeing with all the above, I suggest you don't let the deal fall through for couple of hundred bucks. Counteroffer a 'no' on it (for reasons mentioned above), and then offer them a reduction in negotiated price for couple of hundred IF at first they counter back on your 'no'. Inexperienced buyers can get cold feet over idiotic 'issues' those inspectors find (missing pull chain on a ceiling fan - now there's a find one of inspectors listed when I was buying one of my rentals!). As I said - good for buyers., esp. if it's 1st time home buyers who are generally clueless about home mechanics (and many stay that way in perpetuity). I'd them with a 'no' and go from there, or, if you don't have multiple interests, reduce price down by a few hundred and move on.