Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

check out this piping and insulating

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
edited August 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
at a job I visited last week in Colorado that Pete "the heat" Stout Mechanical. Perfect layout, pipefitting and some of the nicest pipe insulating I have ever seen, perfect miters, very little plaster.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Paul S_3SWEIkcoppChrisJSolid_Fuel_ManKoan

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Prob Zeston covers. Well done.
  • hot_rod
    I didn't mean to put it in the heating hell cat, sorry. I don't see a way to edit that?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    An @moderator should be able to move it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Moved this to the Main Wall. Nice Work!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2016
    nice work..... @hot rod is this geothermal? i dont see any by me in NYC....i read about it in some idronics.
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • hot_rod
    Paul S said:

nice work..... @hot rod is this geothermal? i dont see any by me in NYC....i read about it in some idronics.

It's a four pipe system able to provide heating and cooling at the same time, when required.
    Ground source heat pumps, one Viessmann boiler, a solar thermal component and HXers for a salt water pool system all tied in. A Siemens control system runs it all.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    jonny88
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Pete is good guy! Glad to see his work featured here, he deserves it!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592

They are beautiful.

What does he use to secure those 90 degree and 45 degree covers? They must be split somewhere?

Usually split on the inside of the turn and it looks like PVC tape.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Looks like professional pipe coverers work. On big jobs like a hospital or something the bid for pipe covering installed is close to the bid for the pipe installed.
    bob
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Around here, the price for the 1" itchy is more than the copper.

$_$

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I've still got some in the box in my crawlspace I haven't finished because it's so awfully fun to work with.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • scottnjr
    scottnjr Member Posts: 60
    I want to change my name to pete just to have the nickname "pete the heat"!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    They have special thumb tacks that have little barbs on them. Usually just use tape on chilled water to provide a vapor barrier.

Not that I do much insulating, but trying to put the thumb tack in while holding the fitting cover and getting it tight can be a challenge (plus you need strong thumbs!!!!!!)

One thing I finally found out that makes things much easier is to put the thumb tack through the first layer of the fitting cover , then put the cover in place and then push the tack through the second layer.

It only took me 30 years to figure that one out. I am sure many of you are smarter than me.

They also sell the white mastic in a bucket that you apply with a paint brush, fills in all the gaps. It's a real savior.

Real nice job!!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    My helper was getting a sore thumb with those tacks.
    He was given my pocket flashlight with the magnet on the end to use as a holder and gave him a good handle to push with.
    Sensible Products EMF-1 or EMF-2.
    Can't leave home without it......telescopes from 6.5" to 22"
    has flex flashlight on the end......magnets on each end for old fat men to pick up dropsies.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Now if I could just find someone to bend over and pick things up for me and carry my tools.............and get me coffee
  • JUGHNE
    Grandchildren....... o:)
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I'll be retired by the time there old enough. Besides, you wouldn't expect them to get dirty.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    You can get some young-uns to do grunt work. I have a nephew that could have taught Mike Rowe a thing or two about dirty jobs.

My nephew was a skinny kid and their septic tank had a smallish manhole cover. My brother in-law used to lower him through that manhole cover while he held a sump pump in his hands to pump the septic out when the water table was high.

I can still hear him yelling "For God sake, don't drop me!"

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    This one will get dirty.....if he gets whiney I will talk to his parents.
    They will straighten him out as his father has already suffered the same fate 20-30 years ago and although may not admit it is glad he had to work in the trades.
    There is still hope for the future. :)
    Just not enough of them like this.