Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I am writing a sales book and need your advice

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
Howdy
I am writing a new book on sales and it is aimed to the technician considering a career in sales. The book will cover how to find prospects, develop a sales presentation, and follow up. It will cover basics and residential as well as commercial sales. I was wondering what subjects you would like to see covered in a sales book. I used to teach sales training years ago and thought it may be something of interest as I was a technician that became a sales person and a business owner.
Thanks
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    A few thoughts

1- The correct way to develop a selling price for the product and services you intend to sell. That should be an early chapter.

Selling at breakeven, or a loss isn't much of an occupation.

2- Suggest a Toastmasters or Dale Carnage course for those shy about public interaction.

3- Learn to listen first, then present the sale.

Understand the importance of the "sale", nothing happens in a service business until the sale is made.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Maybe salesmen are born not made. In that profession one must not take rejection personally. Difficult to do in a book but the want-to-be salesman needs to attend a boot camp where she becomes inured to abuse. At least that was my experience doing cold calls in industrial sales. Phone somebody enough times and he'll buy anything to placate you. It's war out there.
    CLamb
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2017
    Maybe how to compete/outsell the Big box stores and/or chains. Selling the "Value add" of quality services, local support, integrity, etc.
    Also, How, When, Where and what to advertise and what the return needs to be for a successful/profitable advertising campaign.
    (just a Home Owner here).
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I will let you know how it goes. Hot Rod I did attend Toastmasters and Dale Carnegie They worked great for me. Jumper, it is tough out there. I hope to have some ideas to separate the person from the pack. Fred some very good points I appreciate your vantage
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Thinking of smaller steam systems. Not that you would sell many or any new systems. But I have found people impressed if you tell them the history behind steam.
    If you are aware of the 1918 flue pandemic and the over sizing of systems that followed. How the EDR got measured for old radiators by the paint vat method. The 2 PSI or less theory etc.
    The more of this you can convey to the customer, the more knowledgeable you appear. That would make them believe you when you point out that many hacks have knuckleheaded their system. They may consider repairing their existing system rather than FA or HW change out.

Just a small part of the business. FWIW
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Person needs to listen to what their customer is telling them what they want. They need to ask the right questions and the home owner will tell them what is wrong with their system.
    Know your products that you are selling and installing.
    Give the home owners options. Good, better and best. Offer a heat loss heat gain on all jobs. Offer service contracts or extended warranties. After installatiotions and service work ask customers fill out a survey about your company. As part of the job tell home owners you register all products to make sure they get the longest possible warranty. Offer financing for installations and service work. Take credit cards or debit cards. Tell homeowners about federal, state and local tax credits and any utility rebates. Take photos of jobs before installation and after installation to show new customers the great quality of work you do. Have a web page, use Facebook and other ways to promote your business. Build a great relationship with local wholesaler that you buy product from so when you have trouble with a product your local wholesaler goes to bat for you with the manufacture to make sure your customer gets credit for a defective part or complete unit.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    May I add what is probably obvious to all of us on the Wall, but perhaps not as much to others we may know?

Ethics. It's a difficult and often lengthy topic, and some of the lessons may be hard to grasp if one's eye is on the short term gain, but it's essential to keeping and growing a business in a field like ours.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RayWohlfarth
    Jughne, thanks for the input. I think it also shows the passion you have for the industry and I think clients appreciate that.
    Bob Eck You gave me lots of ideas Im going to need a bigger book. Thanks
    Jamie That is so true Ethics are a powerful sales tool.
    Thanks all
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons