Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rex Tillerson

Could it be? Rex Tillerson, what a name, and what a man. On a macro level, in our life times, there will never be a more important economical criteria than the free flow of oil at market prices. We've all seen what happens when it doesn't flow, and we've also seen the prosperity it brings when it flows good and cheap.

On a micro level, for myself and the thousands of other family-owned oil companies, we could certainly use a fair fight against the mega gas monopolies.

I am dreaming of a white, free oil flowing, Christmas!

New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com
billtwocase

Comments

• What, no love for Rex?! All you car and truck driving, plane flying, train riding, loyal readers?
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    billtwocaseRomanGK_26986764589
  • New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    billtwocase
  • Who likes oil anyway?

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    billtwocase
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Oil heat is still the best. Gas men will argue the opposite no doubt :)
    New England SteamWorks
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    I'm a plumber (gas guy) who reveres oil heat. I always offered people upgrades instead of converting to gas. I think the man will do a great job. Mad Dog
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2016
    He has for Russia, anyway. (Sorry, I couldn't resist) :)
    @RI_SteamWorks , You are CRA-A-AZY! LOL
    New England SteamWorksBrewbeerSal Santamaura
  • New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How did our oil get under their sand?
    BrewbeerCanucker
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Rex is too nice to Ruskies & Bolton is too mean. Some are unhappy no matter what.
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616

Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    Sal SantamauraRomanGK_26986764589
  • Relax. Rex doesn't like Putin because of the man or his politics.

Rex likes Putin because he's sitting on a zillion barrels of oil. Rex is in the oil business after all. I don't think he would have lasted very long with his shareholders if he decided to only do business with peaceful friendly countries.

As Secretary of State he will have new shareholders. Mainly, us!

That's a whole new ball game.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Truth be known @RI_SteamWorks , I don't believe those guys really like anyone. They just fake it in hopes of their own self serving purposes.
  • It's not about politics. Good heavens! I don't do politics. I put this post under Oil Heat and it was moved. To me it's about oil. I am in the oil business, and when the price of oil is high, my customers hurt. When it's low they're happy.

And anything that makes my customers happy, -makes me happy.

That's all there is to this for me.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529

...Why any heating professional posting here would ever reveal their political leanings has alway baffled me. You stand to lose 50% of your potential customers who read your words...

It's not about politics...

It most certainly is about politics. If I lived in your area and had a home with oil heat, I'd either terminate my business relationship with you (if one existed) or never consider you as a supplier.

Cheering on a blossoming oligarchy ain't smart. Oligarchies aren't popular with a plurality of American voters.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    @Sal Santamaura

And, if I had any business dealing with you, I would part ways with you for expressing that opinion. Do you see where this goes? Does it make any sense now?
  • Sal Santamaura
    Paul48 said:

@Sal Santamaura

And, if I had any business dealing with you, I would part ways with you for expressing that opinion. Do you see where this goes? Does it make any sense now?

Nope. Makes no sense. Listen to Dan. He possesses great wisdom.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Sal. Youre kidding right? Oligarch? Gimme a break. You should take Dan's advice yourself. Mad Dog
  • upstateben
    upstateben Member Posts: 33
    If you need a steam boiler replacement and live live in @RI_SteamWorks service territory and decide not to use him due to a questionable political post, the only person you are hurting yourself.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Mad Dog said:

Sal. Youre kidding right? Oligarch? Gimme a break. You should take Dan's advice yourself. Mad Dog

Of course I'm not kidding. It's crystal clear that Putin is an oligarch. Trump has a lot of Russian connections and overt oligarch aspirations. Tillerson has direct Putin connections, having ignored US interests (Crimea related) to do an oil deal with Russia despite our government asking him not to. There's nothing funny about any of this. Do you think a Secretary of State Tillerson will jeopardize Exxon Mobil's oil deal(s) by standing for human rights, etc., when Putin trashes those things? You know, behave like a U.S. Cabinet Member and not a corporate CEO?

Matt, you and I have disagreed on politics for a long time. That's fine. Dan's advice was offered to heating contractors. I'm a homeowner, not a heating contractor, so it isn't applicable to me. I don't even live in an area where oil heat is available. My post was intended to underscore what Dan wrote to contractors. It would surprise me very much if the plurality who cast ballots against Trump (including in Massachusetts and Rhode Island) reacted differently than I did to a contractor who overtly cheers on the blossoming Trump oligarchy, including soon-to-be Secretary of Oil, er, I mean State, Tillerson. You've stated that you don't run your own business any longer. If that's the case, it would be in your employer's interest to ensure you don't 'go political' in public venues like RI_SteamWorks did. No matter how good a steam contractor he is, those who find the election results appalling and become aware of this thread would likely deal with another contractor before him. Even if they have to abandon their steam system for hot water. Even scorched air would be preferable to sanctioning what ought be considered Un-American.

Do you get Dan's point yet?

• Paul48
    How about we learn to respect others opinions. How about we don't take others words, out of context, after he had explained his motive, and use that as an excuse to jump up on a soap-box. We all get Dan's point(OPINION). We all respect that. We don't have to agree with it. That's the American way.
    BobCRomanGK_26986764589
  • Sal Santamaura
    Paul48 said:

How about we learn to respect others opinions...

I respect others' right to hold whatever beliefs and opinions they desire. The specific beliefs and opinions themselves must earn respect. Respect for those is neither automatic nor owed.
    Paul48 said:

...How about we don't take others words, out of context, after he had explained his motive, and use that as an excuse to jump up on a soap-box...

There is no context missing. This thread was started in a different category. Dan and/or Erin undoubtedly moved it here, in its entirety, because it involved the politics of oil heating. It, in and of itself, is a loud cry from a soap box. Responding with an opposite viewpoint appears to be entirely appropriate.
    Paul48 said:

...We all get Dan's point(OPINION). We all respect that. We don't have to agree with it. That's the American way.

No, you don't have to take Dan's advice. Contractors can use their inalienable right to ignore / disagree with it and put off half their customers as a result. If that's your desired result, go for it. I have no stake in contractors' business results; you can only hurt yourselves.
    Brewbeer
  • Fishin_Rod
    Fishin_Rod Member Posts: 20
    Seriously, this thread by RI SteamWorks is beyond the pale as partisan politics???

I will excerpt his entire first comment below:

"Could it be? Rex Tillerson, what a name, and what a man. On a macro level, in our life times, there will never be a more important economical criteria than the free flow of oil at market prices. We've all seen what happens when it doesn't flow, and we've also seen the prosperity it brings when it flows good and cheap.

On a micro level, for myself and the thousands of other family-owned oil companies, we could certainly use a fair fight against the mega gas monopolies."

That comment is completely anodyne. Let's see, he promotes free markets, international trade, and lower oil prices. All of these things are unequivocally good for the U.S.

In fact, when RI Steamworks rails against "mega gas monopolies" that could even be taken as a jab against Putin and Gazprom.

If you are against the things directly promoted by RI Steamworks, then you are probably also against moms and apple pie too!

Rod
  • Sal Santamaura

...Let's see, he promotes free markets, international trade, and lower oil prices. All of these things are unequivocally good for the U.S.

You ignore the fact that a plurality of voters in the last election seem to disagree on all three counts. The opinion of many, including me, is that unfettered free markets, "free" trade and lower oil prices are good only for oligarchs, not average citizens of the U.S and the environment. Staying on the heating topic, perhaps if a national 15ppm sulfur standard were imposed on No. 2 things might be slightly different. Do you think the next administration will direct the EPA to impose one?

If you are against the things directly promoted by RI Steamworks, then you are probably also against moms and apple pie too!...

I've nothing against motherhood, but never did develop a taste for apples or apple pie. Others ought freely enjoy them! :)

• Paul48
    "Do you think the next administration will direct the EPA to impose one"?

I think the next administration will fall in line, and do as he's told, by the oligarchy that runs this world. To think otherwise is foolish.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Oil companies, like Exxon, get oil out of the ground for the least cost possible for whatever country that owns it . That is their job. They get their cut but the Market dictates the value and the country makes money if oil prices are high. if there is too much on the market, it is cheap.

US Shale oil glutted the market as did Iranian oil and with Saudi Arabia's refusal to cut back the price came down. That HURT Russia economically. The middle east has been pretty quiet these days. will it stay that way after january 20?

Oil IS political. it can only be traded in American greenbacks. Why? China wants to buy oil with their currency. Why not use gold? Peace in the Middle East when they have oil? why would you want peace if you have the oil?

Will Tillerson and Trump keep prices down? They certainly know how but it depends whether or not they are patriots. We shall see.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    What is the right price range for a gallon of gasoline or heating oil?

Don't we, the taxpayers' heavily subsidize the oil industry?

And if the oil is pumped from public lands, don't we the taxpayer/ citizens own that oil?

Back to that greed issue, nobody disagrees that a company is entitled to a profit. The multi million dollar salaries and profit sharing, golden parachutes, etc make it look criminal to the average working guy.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Sal SantamauraBobC
  • SlamDunk
    edited January 2017
    Any company that uses tax law loopholes to not pay taxes is subsidized by us.

All companies that ask for a tax break to open up shop in a particular state/ county are subsidized by us yet, I feel like I still pay top dollar for everything.

I know my next Carrier wont be cheaper.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    SlamDunk said:

All companies that ask for a tax break to open up shop in a particular state/ county are subsidized by us yet, I feel like I still pay top dollar for everything.

I know my next Carrier wont be cheaper.

Would this apply to elected officials also?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Sal Santamaura
  • SlamDunk
    tax payers pay elected officials. lobbyists subsidize them. not surewhat yourquestion meant so i winged it.
  • overpop
    overpop Member Posts: 52

This site is forever searchable. Why any heating professional posting here would ever reveal their political leanings has alway baffled me. You stand to lose 50% of your potential customers who read your words.

That worth it to you? I've watched guys lose their business over this.

Please think. You're talking to the whole world. Why show your cards?

Perfectly said. I remember seeing political signs in front of local businesses. All I could think of how stupid is that?
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I am very opinionated politically and have almost bitten my tongue off in an effort to remain quiet.

I'm certain that this is not the time to remain quiet but you have to choose your spots wisely.
    Steve Minnich