Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MegaSteaming In The Islands (Long & Rhode)

Options
New England SteamWorks
New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
edited November 2016 in Strictly Steam
New owners of a nice old house. They will be renovating and adding on an addition. Which means we get to play Deadmen and install new takeoffs and radiation. What fun.

Fortunately, we have Ilka onsite to help us along:

New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com
IronmanMilanDGregWeiss

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    More pics, please.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    EricBaisch
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    This is a counterflow system, but with a twist. Instead of left & right branches, it was a continuous loop. Which meant: No main venting. Which in turn meant: Sawzall surgery.

I neglected to take a picture before the initial incisions, but this should give you the general idea of the back of the loop:

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Nice
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    New England SteamWorks
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    So after the initial incisions, time for the 701 so we can build an antler for Peter's vent(s)

A couple of fittings and some strainers later and we have venting, after all these years:

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    But, not so fast. Notice something about the end of the now left branch? Pitching down... Seemed like a nice place for condensate to collect just prior to the vent and go bang in the night.

So... turn that 100 year old 90 up just a hair right? Big pipe wrench + even bigger persuader (36" 2" pipe nipple) should do the trick? No? Not! That old cast 90 exploded rather than turn.

And that old heavy 701 already returned to the truck and packed up? Back out you go, and there goes the margin in the bid!

Ah, the steamers life!
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Nice, Nice, Nice!
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Bellies full, time to head back to the basement.

Returns tied in:

Takeoffs for future addition:

Happy Hour:

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Sailah
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    I know you don't, but we do:

Remember Ilka as a little pup? She never could resist a MegaSteam jacket carton:

More tomorrow.

Also tomorrow: @Danny Scully 's Megasteam!

Don't change the channel!
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    @RI_SteamWorks

Very nice!

Are those king valves full port gate valves?

Also, how was the loop pitched before you made the 2 zones out of them: up from the boiler on both sides to where you made the cut?

Install looks beautiful!
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    MilanD said:

@RI_SteamWorks

Very nice!

Are those king valves full port gate valves?

Yes

Also, how was the loop pitched before you made the 2 zones out of them: up from the boiler on both sides to where you made the cut?

Yes, they were both pitched up towards the back, but over the years the back got a little cock-eyed. We don't recall if cutting the loop open made it worse or not.

Install looks beautiful!

Thank you, you are very kind to say so.

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    MilanD
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    @RI_SteamWorks beautiful install as always.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    New England SteamWorks
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Thanks for putting me on the spot @RI_SteamWorks! :lol: I'll post the Long Island MegaSteam tomorrow :wink:
    New England SteamWorks
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    Nice job! @RI_SteamWorks
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Can we share threads @RI_SteamWorks?
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Absolutely @Danny Scully !
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Almost done, running real nice.

Back after Thanksgiving to insulate everything, then back when construction starts to play Deadmen.

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Ironman
  • Sailah
    Options
    How could anyone look at that and not be thrilled as a customer? Everything neat, orderly, workmanlike. I especially like the file holder for all the manuals convenient. Gauges just so, no stooping to look at them. Well done!
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    New England SteamWorks
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Picture perfect! @RI_SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options

Do you have a specific reason to switch to 3" at the top of the risers versus right at the header?

Seems to be quite a bit of added cost for no gain?

The gain is in efficiency, which makes the additional "cost" an investment.*

In 1966 Robert Heinlein popularized the expression "There's no free lunch". That idiom is certainly true with steam boilers: you can pay upfront, or you can continually pay the fuel bills on the back end. Either way, there's a bill for lunch.

Another idiom important in design is: "Form Follows Function". Not much merit in anything, no matter how impressive the design, if it doesn't function.

*Dan Holohan. Greening Steam. Page 94.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    BobC
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    I apologize. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were genuinely interested.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    SteamCoffeeHatterasguy
  • Sailah
    Options
    Speaking of Robert Heinlein, my favorite quote since I was a kid. I remember first reading it when we were kids at the Hurricane Island Outward Bound school in Maine.

I'm still working on the list...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love[1][2]
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    New England SteamWorksSWEI
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    It's been a long day. All credit to @RI_SteamWorks, you make it look easy, and clearly it's not.
    New England SteamWorksIronman
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No, it's not easy, is it? (Especially if you haven't got Ilka!) But that is a fine looking install. Well done. And a beautiful boiler, that MegaSteam. You do her credit.

And in your honor, I will change the title of this post. A little tropical flair, if you will.

I was so jealous of the job you recently did re-piping that house with steam. That was nice work! At least with this job, I can repipe an addition.

Question: CycleGuards drive me nuts and normally I can sell a SafeGuard as an add-on. In this job I could not. But I see your boiler has a McDonnell Miller. How did that come about?
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Man , that is an exceptional job as usual.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

New England SteamWorks
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    I don't see any issue with the way he upsized his risers. I'm not a steam guy beyond what I've learned reading both this site and Dan's books, but to me, it would seem like any water droplets making their way up the risers would say "Weee!" and drop right out of the steam and down into the header once they hit those nice, wide, 3" riser drops.

If I was his customer I'd be MORE than perfectly happy with that install...it's mechanical artistry. Nothing wrong with going above and beyond on pipe sizing...and I bet it actually does make a difference.

Great job (and cute pup).
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    New England SteamWorks
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Apropos of nothing, but maybe not: Because we sell oil I had the luxury of an extra day on my job, which likely @Danny Scully did not, and I certainly would not have had if it were a gas job. With an oil customer the job/sale is never finished. With gas, it is. You have to get in and out or loose your shirt. There's nothing after to cover a loss.

Something for folks to think about. Whatever your source of fuel, you'll have a bill. But with the gas company that is all it will ever be. A bill. With your oil company, it can be leveraged to great effect. Just ask me how...
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    No longer living in oil country, but when we were I had a great relationship with our oil jobber. I knew bupkus about oil burners and the guys in the shop were very patient with me when I would bring in the old Lennox asking questions.
    BobC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @SWEI hope it wasn't one of the old Lennox burners with the belt drive oil pump
    SWEI
  • Ironman
    Options

No, it's not easy, is it? (Especially if you haven't got Ilka!) But that is a fine looking install. Well done. And a beautiful boiler, that MegaSteam. You do her credit.

And in your honor, I will change the title of this post. A little tropical flair, if you will.

I was so jealous of the job you recently did re-piping that house with steam. That was nice work! At least with this job, I can repipe an addition.

Question: CycleGuards drive me nuts and normally I can sell a SafeGuard as an add-on. In this job I could not. But I see your boiler has a McDonnell Miller. How did that come about?

Great looking job as usual.

I'm trying to get Burnham to step up to the plate and deal with the two cycleguards on the MegaSteams we put in the church a couple weeks ago. So far, they haven't called me back even though they keep promising.

Not only is the off cycle function counter productive, the two don't cycle in unison after about 30 minutes of run time.

They say the function is to "help stabilize the water level". I take that to mean "we're trying to compensate for a knucklehead that installed the boiler on a system that has a clogged return". The control should have a means of disabling that "function".

Maybe if enough of us start hollering loud and long enough, they'll do something bout it.

Bob Boan
    SWEINew England SteamWorks
  • Ironman
    Options
    It makes about as much sense as stopping your car every 10 minutes to get out and check the oil.

It is, after all, a LWCO. If that's really their concern, why not just increase the off time and fill delay if the water level gets too low. That way, it would only address a problem that actually occurred, not one that was perceived that might occur.
    Bob Boan
    SWEIRomanGK_26986764589New England SteamWorks
  • Danny Scully
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RI_SteamWorks, I'm honored with the thread name change! It certainly would have been a luxury to have another day, or if Burnham made a 3" kit that was meant for the 288 (it took a little mixing and matching to make the 3" kit work on the 288). But, just like you started 3" at the top of the risers, it was worth it.

Sorry, I missed your question @RI_SteamWorks, the McDonald Miller came packaged with the boiler. Maybe something new?
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options

@RI_SteamWorks, the McDonald Miller came packaged with the boiler. Maybe something new?

Hey, maybe there's hope after all?

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • hvacfreak2
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ironman said:

It makes about as much sense as stopping your car every 10 minutes to get out and check the oil.

It is, after all, a LWCO. If that's really their concern, why not just increase the off time and fill delay if the water level gets too low. That way, it would only address a problem that actually occurred, not one that was perceived that might occur.

I purchased mine last year and it came with the MM electronic. The IOM mentions at least 2 electronic units as well as the 67 float type. There is a page that gives the tubing cut sizes and required materials for the 67 as a diagram. If yours came with Hydrolevels they were ordered that way , or maybe just what was readily available to ship , but Megasteam does not require the Hydrolevel ( POS ) ...as of last year at least.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

So you can't get the boiler without the trim and add your own? I am surprised they don't offer options that you can choose?

I know it's not this simple for them, but all those LWCO devices check the level continuously so why shut it down? I know the answer, but it just makes zero sense to me. If the boiler is performing that poorly I think it's an installation issue and maybe they or the supply house should stop selling these things to knuckleheads that don't know steam?

Not being critical just some speculation.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Ironman
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    MST options attached , from page 9 and 19 of my install manual.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• New England SteamWorks
    Options
    "It would be preferable to run the 2" risers and put in the Safeguard for about the same cost."

Not even close Batman. The extra nipples and fittings cost less than $80.

Being as how this thread has already incorporated a bunch of idioms, another might be in order:

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Hatterasguy
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    Options
    From My treestand....somewhere on The Isle of Long. Very windy today. EXEMPLARY work, man. Georgeous Shepard..is he yours or homeowners? Mad Dog
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Mad Dog said:

From My tree stand....somewhere on The Isle of Long. Very windy today. EXEMPLARY work, man. Georgeous Shepard..is he yours or homeowners? Mad Dog

Thank you @Mad Dog , you are kind to say so.

The Shepherd is all ours :)
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

"It would be preferable to run the 2" risers and put in the Safeguard for about the same cost."

Not even close Batman. The extra nipples and fittings cost less than $80.

Being as how this thread has already incorporated a bunch of idioms, another might be in order:

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach

I found the Safgard for $75. and got rid of the Cyclegard. Beats your $80. (which bought you nothing).

Nice insult to Dan Holohan, probably the best teacher you'd ever find. Some people actually know more than you do.
    I know prices are a no-no but I couldn't resist. A Hydrolevel Safguard 400 for $75? Where.. please.. at that price I'll buy a few dozen this season. My supplier can't come anywhere near that price.