Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crazy lack of awareness (Seychelles Deaths)

I saw the headlines on this one a few days ago and my first thought was carbon monoxide poisoning.

This is the only article I have seen that even suggests the idea. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mystery-island-resort-sisters-die-42482552

I am sure that even if they figure it out, it will be discarded as a problem that only exists in other places.

This is such a sad and avoidable problem. Am I the only one that looks to see where the boiler rooms are when checking into a hotel?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein
SWEI

Comments

• FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Honestly, this was my first thought as well.

I read last night that autopsies initially confirmed pulmonary and cerebral edema in one or both of them (fluid buildup?)...

I got into the habit of bringing my personal CO monitor with me when I travel after several news stories about CO poisoning at hotels. Better safe than sorry, especially as far as kids are concerned.

Sadly, the municipality I work for doesn't require or provide air quality monitors for anyone except the sewage division.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    FranklinD said:

I got into the habit of bringing my personal CO monitor with me when I travel after several news stories about CO poisoning at hotels. Better safe than sorry, especially as far as kids are concerned.

That's a good idea. I'm no expert but I have seen some installations while traveling that make me scratch my head.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I can site many cases of CO poisoning in motels and hotels due to pool heaters inside the building not even vented, Holiday Inn is known for this. Never stay in a room above, below or alongside a boiler room. Watch out for side wall vented equipment outside your window or sliding doors at a hotel. When traveling I always have my belt carried CO detector and I put my CO Experts Low Level detector on the night stand in my room.
    Jean-David Beyer