Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Crazy lack of awareness (Seychelles Deaths)

I saw the headlines on this one a few days ago and my first thought was carbon monoxide poisoning.

This is the only article I have seen that even suggests the idea. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mystery-island-resort-sisters-die-42482552

I am sure that even if they figure it out, it will be discarded as a problem that only exists in other places.

This is such a sad and avoidable problem. Am I the only one that looks to see where the boiler rooms are when checking into a hotel?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

  • FranklinDFranklinD Member Posts: 398
    Honestly, this was my first thought as well.

    I read last night that autopsies initially confirmed pulmonary and cerebral edema in one or both of them (fluid buildup?)...

    I got into the habit of bringing my personal CO monitor with me when I travel after several news stories about CO poisoning at hotels. Better safe than sorry, especially as far as kids are concerned.

    Sadly, the municipality I work for doesn't require or provide air quality monitors for anyone except the sewage division.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • CanuckerCanucker Member Posts: 529
    FranklinD said:


    I got into the habit of bringing my personal CO monitor with me when I travel after several news stories about CO poisoning at hotels. Better safe than sorry, especially as far as kids are concerned.


    That's a good idea. I'm no expert but I have seen some installations while traveling that make me scratch my head.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Member Posts: 4,231
    I can site many cases of CO poisoning in motels and hotels due to pool heaters inside the building not even vented, Holiday Inn is known for this. Never stay in a room above, below or alongside a boiler room. Watch out for side wall vented equipment outside your window or sliding doors at a hotel. When traveling I always have my belt carried CO detector and I put my CO Experts Low Level detector on the night stand in my room.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!