Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heater is dependant on stove?

me123
me123 Member Posts: 1
A friend asked me to help with this problem, and this is the craziest thing I have seen and hoping I don't get laughed from the forum. Central heat will not come on unless you use the cook stove, this has been verified several times. There is no correlation with the thermostat, and this is butane provided from a tank. The gas line comes from the tank to the central heater and tees off about eight feet from the heater going to the stove about 16 feet away from the tee. The heater was a recent replacement (used) and was converted from natural gas, which appears to be correct. The problem has been continues since install. My only theory is something with the pressure and the "intake" parts of the heater. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Butane? I think you mean Propane.

It sounds like the regulator is sticking. But in all kindness, since you're not a licensed gas tech, you should NOT attemp to repair this.

Call the PROPANE supplier.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    There are a lot of BIG RED FLAGS posted here.

Whoever did the NG to LP conversion and installed the furnace should have corrected this on day one. You indicated a problem "since install".

There are at least 3 items to change for this NG-LP conversion, probably 4 because it must not be a standing pilot. Some furnaces are not approved for that conversion.

You need an HVAC person to check out the conversion/installation.......Not the one who hooked it up and walked away.

Then make sure the LP tank is at least 50% full, with cold temps you need to keep the tank not near the bottom of the gauge.

You need your propane supplier to perhaps change out both regulators and check pressure delivery.

If anyone of responsibility responded to your problem and could not correct it they should shut your gas off at the tank......First thing the fire department does whenever there is a furnace explosion caused by defective installations. :|
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    If by chance it is Butane then any temperature below 30 degrees the liquid in the tank will not vaporize and what may be happening is when the liquid gets indoors it starts to vaporize then things will start to work.

This sounds like a real nightmare so get the fuel provider and a heating tech to look at this immediately as it can be dangerous if not corrected quickly. I strongly recommend leaving it all off until it is checked out.
    JUGHNEZman