Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boston High Efficiency Boiler Install

I installed these two Utica SSC boilers in Boston this past fall. I can't say enough about how great these high efficiency boilers are. Since it was a large job it took a few calls to Utica to make sure I had things right and Utica couldn't have been more helpful. The boiler setup was a breeze and the electrical hookup where the two boilers communicate with each other was unbelivably easy, just a couple of wires from one boiler to the other and the whole "lead, lag" setup was complete. The quality of these boilers are unsurpassed.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon LEED AP
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
4JohnpipeTinmanHarvey RamerAaron_in_Mainelchmbnjtommyjonny88ChrisJ

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Great looking job you're a first class mechanic. I looks like you piped yourself into a corner, I hope you are able to get out!
    bob
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Great looking job
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Pretty work...that's nice!
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Nice looking job!
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Looks great.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Your Fly's Open
    Rich_49Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Damn nice piping
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    NICE! Us dryheads like looking at your boiler pictures. What is the building? Before picture?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    They will have plenty of hot water too.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heatingZman
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Nice F%$^in work Bob ! May I ask what drove the decision to use SSUs with the Uticas as opposed to one of Utica's Stainless indirects ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Thanks John, the building contains eight artists condos, big condos, the old giant cast iorn boiler gave off so much heat the people living on the same floor that the boiler was on, only had to turn their thermostats on when it was really cold outside, often windows had to be opened in the winter to cool off the overheated boiler room and hallway, the smoke pipe was about twenty inches in diameter. I'll look for pictures.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Rich_49
    Beautiful Fr*%#in job !
    Bob , what drove the decision to use SSUs with the Uticas as opposed to Utica's Stainless indirect ? Or not using an HTP boiler ?
    I designed a job not long ago where I found myself using an SSC with an SSU because the boiler was a warranty job and to avoid possible coverage issues with Utica we used another of their products . One thing that I find odd is the fact that SSC
    boiler circ does not drop out on a DHW call and must be piped from the system loop with a circ only sized for the head and flow of whatever indirect one uses .

Anyway , nice job , they should benefit greatly .

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/155916/leaking-utica-ub-90-update
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Charlie, some fancy units here with multiple shower heads, I want to make sure everyone's happy, and the redundancy of two indirect tanks and two boilers ensures they will never be without heat or hot water, specing it out like this is one of the reasons I got this job.
    Thanks Rich, I didn't know about the Stainless Steel Utica indirect water tanks until recently, and I heard Uticas indirects are guaranteed for life, is that true? I'm not sure what you mean about the circulator for the indirects, could you elaborate?
  • Rich_49
    edited January 2016
    I was informed by a gentleman at Utica addressing my concern that what I read was correct and I was not misinterpreting the manual .

During a DHW call , the onboard circ continues it's operation as opposed to turning over the entire duty to an indirect circ .

For this reason and only this reason would be why the indirect is piped to the system side of the Caleffi in the referenced thread . That circulator only need be sized for the indirect piping and HX coil head respectively .
    732-751-1560
  • todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    Bob, again that is beautiful work.

Rich, the boiler pump will operate on a heat or DHW call. It is required to maintain circulation through the heat exchanger/primary loop. The SSC has the built in primary loop.

The only thing that changes is on a call for heat, we energize the CH pump, on a call for DHW, we energize the DHW pump. DHW has priority and will deenergize the CH pump on a DHW call. We want the boiler pump running under both of these circumstances.

The internal pump is not intended to provide any circulation through the system piping. If you choose to pipe in an external primary loop, close the internal ball valve and the internal pump will provide circulation through your external primary loop. You still need at least 1 system pump.

Hope this helps
    SWEI