Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Utica UB-90 Update

Options
john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
I have some great news to share and a few people to thank. Last winter I developed a crack in my 7 yr. old UB-90 and nursed it through a very cold winter by applying many different kinds of epoxy, many different times because none held for any great length of time.

I contacted Utica through Wallington Plumbing Supply, Wallington, NJ and started a warranty process that I have to be honest I really did not think was going to go anywhere - boy, was I wrong .
Utica approved the warranty request and I know we are not supposed to discuss pricing but let me just say I was very pleased with what they gave me in a check - on a 7 yr. old boiler.

Next, I sought out Rich McGrath and John Langan from Langan's Plumbing, Howell, NJ after reading and agreeing with many of their posts on Heatinghelp.com. I decided to stay with a Utica boiler, specifically an SSC-75 so I hired Rich & John to provide me with a heatloss calculation, drawing (basic flow diagram), material list and provide a startup visit - basically as consultants and I would do the installation.

Rich and John went above and beyond what I requested - they were always available to answer any questions I had and even stopped by to check on my progress.

Startup was completed yesterday and everything is working great. My favorite part is how quiet this system is in comparison to the old system,

Please note finishing touches are not complete - I have placards on order for Supply, Return, domestic water, natural gas pipes etc. I also am trying to located a high heat clear spray paint that won't discolor (darken) once heated. Need a new condensate pump and clean the diamond plate.

So once again I would like to thank Rich and John from Langan's Plumbing & Heating, Todd from ECR and Utica in general for standing behind their equipment and Tom Lynch from Wallington Plumbing Supply, Wallington, NJ.
Aaron_in_Maine4JohnpipeSWEIRobGkcopp

Comments

• todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow! A true work of art. Beautiful work by Langan's!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Langans honestly provided guidance on this one . Our Op is a pipefitter and did a hell of a job . Startup went very well .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    SWEIRobG
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    That is very nice work! You will be happy with the SSC I have done a few and all of them work great.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    That belongs in a museum!
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    The lights on top makes it look like an Art expo, looks really nice, is that a pressure gauge on the gas line, very detailed.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,377
    Options
    Beautiful work.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 483
    Options
    John looks awesome! The indirect fit nicely. When you get a new condensate pump get a deeper reservoir and you can buy lime chips and add about a cup into the reservoir for your condensate neutralizer. We do this on our installs saves space for buying a canister with neutralizer as a separate item. See you next week.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    Aaron_in_MaineSWEI
  • john p_2
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments & compliments....a couple of things to add. Also, need to finish the relief valve piping but could not due to having had surgery on my knee today! Also, thanks Rich for the recognition but should add....Unemployed pipefitter, lol.
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    Sorry John, I think I went right to the picture...I've shared this with some of my colleagues at Utica. We are going to get a pic of this up on our 'Wall of Fame'. Fantastic work!
    4Johnpipe
  • john p_2
    Options
    Would appreciate if you wait till I consider it complete....placards & relief piping.
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    Will do. Keep us updated.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Looks like an elegant way to position the hose bibbs away from the return isolation valve handles. And a whole bunch of Webstone 40313W's.

Us lazy guys just buy the Ball Drains.
    4Johnpipe
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Brings back fond memories of Heatboy's work.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited October 2015
    Options

SWEI said:

Us lazy guys just buy the Ball Drains.

Wouldn't a single Webstone 50613W be simpler and less costly?
    Right, a Ball Drain. No need for the W there -- a 50613 costs 26% less.

Hatterasguy
  • john p_2
    Options
    No benefit to the way I piped the purge valves; just liked the appearance. I had access to the Apollo cap & chain valves and liked them. Wondering if anyone know how to coat the copper/brass with a clear spray that doesn't darken over time? On my first couple of homes I used Rustoleum Clear spray paint but it darkens significantly over time, thinking I need to find a high temp clear spray??
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    john p said:

No benefit to the way I piped the purge valves; just liked the appearance. I had access to the Apollo cap & chain valves and liked them. Wondering if anyone know how to coat the copper/brass with a clear spray that doesn't darken over time? On my first couple of homes I used Rustoleum Clear spray paint but it darkens significantly over time, thinking I need to find a high temp clear spray??

That is some really awesome work man. These folks have a really nice high temp. clear coat.

http://www.eastwood.com/?SRCCODE=GA200230&adpos=1t1&creative=73519605060&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CPy16a_l88cCFcOQHwodJYkCjA

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• john p_2
    Options
    Just starting to label using plastic engraved placards from www.pipemarker.com .
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    That is some beautiful work.Can you break the rule,How long for install and how much spent on material?Very curious.Should be very proud ,looks like a work of art.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Jonny88,
    I started demo on the old system the last week of August and did the startup I believe Oct. 29. .

And I'm not finished labeling, need a condensate neutralizer and a new condensate pump and need to pipe the boiler relief. I think the diamond plate really completes the job.

Hope you read the update thread from the beginning? Not sure if it breaks the rule if I was to come up with a total number for everything and maybe I just round off.
    I'm working on that now. Thanks for the compliments too...
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    WOW, WOW, WOW! That is amazing!
  • themow
    themow Member Posts: 11
    Options
    That is a beautiful job. I might make it my display background.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Thanks but if you are going to use it for display please wait alittle longer till I complete it. Working on Labeling, condensate pump/neutralizer and relief piping.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    John P .

Please do not allow anyone to use this as their display background . We have no idea whom anyone is or what type work they do until we know . Someone using my design and your performed install is dishonest on those displaying it's part , it can be used to gain work as if they did the install . That is your property and I would keep it that way by disallowing it's use for any purpose other than a " This is one way that this type of install should look or be done " depiction .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    jonny88
  • john p_2
    Options
    Ok, I misunderstood what he was saying. Actually it was late when I responded and thought he was just using as a display on his computer....who knows. I got it now.
  • john p_2
    Options
    themow - hope you received the message, both, as I sent you a private message and am telling you here that I do not and have not given anybody permission to use my photos for their display. Thank you.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    This is a very good point Rich is making.A few years ago working with my former company we did a boiler install.It came out beautiful and was for the owner of the plumbing supply where we got material from.It was a new house and when having a housewarming party obviously there was a lot of his customers there.One guy took pics of the boiler room and put it on his website.This is the kind of work I do he would boast.Be careful.Good advice Rich.
    kcopp