Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Heater is not turning on!

MuchWOW
MuchWOW Member Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Gas Heating
Currently, it is snowing and my heater in my house isn't turning on. I have some pictures of the gas/heater that could potentially help.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I assume you mean your water heater?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Is the pilot lit?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • MuchWOW
    I don't think so
  • MuchWOW
    I still have hot water
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Assuming that it is the water heater -- which is what the pictures are off...

If the pilot is not lit, follow the instructions to turn off the gas (they are on the label on the front). Then wait at least 15 minutes. If you smell gas at any time, leave the house and call the fire department.

After 15 minutes, if you still don't smell any gas, check and make sure that the circuit breaker controlling the water heater is on. If it is, then follow carefully the directions on the label for starting the appliance. If that works, fine. If not, follow the instructions for turning the appliance off again. Turn off the power to the appliance, and call for professional service.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brp814
    Brp814 Member Posts: 22
    From the photos that looks like an older Carrier furnace. As was mentioned above check to see if the pilot is lit,if it is then you may need a pro to look at it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    If you have no heat in the house, call a professional. As said, the pictures you are showing are of the gas valve for the hot water heater, and if you don't know the difference the time it would take to get you up to a point of troubleshooting the problem , might mean the pipes in the home freeze.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The simplest thing you could try is to turn the switch on the furnace (looks like a light switch) off for 10 seconds and see if anything happens when you turn it back on.........If nothing starts after 2 minutes then call someone in. That is as far as i would advise you.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Call in a professional. Not to be harsh, but if you can't tell the difference between a hot water heater and a furnace, you should call in a pro. Just sayin...
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited January 2016
    Check the circuit breaker in the electrical panel. Make sure the stairway switch usually higher up than the cellar light switch is not shut off. Pull the front cover off the furnace and see if the pilot is lit.

Send us pictures of the gas valve on the furnace. The pictures you sent are of the controls on your water heater which is seperate from your heating system.

When you get a chance have a professional take a look at it and also give you a little education on your system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I was making the perhaps generous assumption that the water heater was his heat source. Some systems do that... not that it is right!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I think I see a corner of the furnace next to the water heater.