Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless Boiler Warranty Repair

AlexPetron
AlexPetron Member Posts: 22
Hello. The pilot on my mom's 20-year old Peerless boiler recently turned from blue to orange. When this happened before, she called the gas utility who adjusted the pressure thus restoring it. This time, however, she called a local plumbing company. Two "techs" (using the term loosely) were dispatched and advised her that due to the age of the boiler and some isolated rust on the boiler jacket, there is leaking and the entire boiler would need to be replaced. During this "service call" (again, using that term loosely) they did not even request to see the boiler in operation. However, during their "diagnosis" they temporarily cut the power to the unit and temporarily shut-off the gas. Several hours later when my mom attempted to start-up the boiler, there is now no pilot and thus no heat.

I have since learned that Peerless warranties their residential hot-water boilers for a lifetime on the cast-iron sections. Does anyone here have experience with exercising the warranty options or with contacting Peerless? I have tried looking up their website and calling them, but getting anywhere, at least for me, is proving very difficult. Thank you very much for any guidance you can provide us here.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The warranty applies to defects in the actual cast iron parts and is limited to the original owner. I think it is very unlikely that you have a claim.
    The first thing you need to do is to get a service company that you trust out to diagnose both the pilot issue and to find the source of the leak. If it is in fact a defective cat iron section, they could contact peerless and see what can be done.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RichM
    RichM Member Posts: 2
    Alex, The Peerless boiler warranty is against manufacturers defects. Did the service people contact the local area reps? that is where you should start. To find your local Peerless rep, all you need to do is go to peerlessboilers.com to find the rep in your area.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Sounds like some of our competitor's commission based sales techs. If the sucker has some age on it, it is shot and needs to be replaced. Like the one who told a lady that the heat exchanger on her boiler was cracked letting CO pour into the house. Our tech had to explain that CO would not pour out but water sure would -- and wasn't. Older people, especially ladies alone, are extra vunerable.
    Kafox15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I expect you might have trouble getting warranty coverage -- not because Peerless isn't good; they are -- but because some isolated rust on the jacket may not be a leak at all, or not in the boiler.

Find someone who is honest and knows what he or she is doing to come and give the thing a good servicing and going over.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    RichM said:

Alex, The Peerless boiler warranty is against manufacturers defects. Did the service people contact the local area reps? that is where you should start. To find your local Peerless rep, all you need to do is go to peerlessboilers.com to find the rep in your area.

Alex, Rich is giving you very good advice. Please take it.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'Brien
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Was there any water on the floor?