Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HVAC for home on pylons?

Options
Hello all,
I am currently designing a new home witch will be built on pylons in order to minimize the impact it has on the landscape. I am only allowing a small basement room. The rest of the home will be propped up on pylons. I am in the stage of designing the best possible HVAC system I can for this house. I have decided to put a ground source heat pump hydronic system in, (placed in the small basement room), and would like to have a Unico high velocity system. The only trouble is, the duct work can't be run where the home is on pylons, due to energy loss. Attic space is also at a premium due to the contemporary design of the interior. Any ideas for how to ventilate and heat this house?

I've considered just a hydronic system, however I would like to have AC (from the heat pump) and a makeup air system if possible.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What climate are you in?
    You could be a candidate for radiant heating and cooling in ceilings or walls.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Smith19
    Smith19 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    The house is in coastal New England. I would consider in wall cooling, however I'm really interested in preventing "sick building syndrome" with an air makeup box. (I understand there are other ways to prevent it, but the air make up box has a lot of benefits).
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Radiant cooling would take some finesse in your climate, I would not rule it out completely.
    Post some details of the air makeup box you are considering.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Smith19
    Options
    I have not decided on one. I may just consider an extra air handler to pre cool or pre heat (depending on season) the exterior intake air. I may consider one that simply transfers the heat of outgoing air to the heat of ingoing air.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How many stories? You are considering a HRV only? Why not a ERV? If using a HRV they come w/ cellulose (paper) heat ex-changer and when they get wet (and they will) mold is now your buddy. I have a couple of customers w/ pylon houses and these are a couple of Millions $, just off of Dune Rd,L.I.,N.Y. The one house increased the floor joists to put some of the ducts within the joists . There is ducts,insulation,vapor barrier, and 5/8 plywood and sealant under the house.

What do you mean by "make up air" system?You have a big kitchen w/ a big x hood?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What about radiant floor heating, chilled water to select location water to air air handlers in ceiling spaces in baths, closets etc. Similar to what you see in hotels. Use chilled water buffer tank in mech room to supply them. Use an hrv for fresh air to main core? Just some thoughts. Firstco makes some decent concealed mini air handlers for application.
  • Smith19
    Options
    By air makeup, I think I was meaning HRV. I want a way to ventilate the house so that circulating air doesn't get stale. I am not aware of water damage in HRV's though. I was considering running ductwork underneath the "floating" portion of the house. (On pylons). I was just concerned with heat loss. Yes, there is a second story which has only got two small knee wall spaces. There is no attic along the ridge line of the roof as the ceiling is vaulted. The reason unico appealed to me was the small ductwork.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Always better to locate the indoor coils in such a way as to minimize ductwork -- regardless of whether those coils are fed with water or a refrigerant.
  • Techman
    Options
    ERV s have metal honeycomb heat x, the condensation still happens but the metal can handle it.There are charts showing where the winter hot discharge air crosses over the in coming cold air forming the condensation. Make up air replaces xfan air from driers, bath and kitchen x fans. Got a fireplace?
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    No attic is trouble. You can put air handlers above closets. Closet becomes a plenum. Your clothes with be well aired.
  • Techman
    Options
    Drawing return air over/around the clothes in the closet/plenum? The clothes will get very dirty very quickly, I think.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    In floor radiant heat.
    Ducts under house for A/C with hot water coils
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Another possibility is fin coil in valances. I suggest extra cold water. And think carefully about how to handle condensate.