Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EI spark ignition didn't want to light?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
After sitting all summer I went to light the boiler yesterday and it failed to light the pilot during the first attempt. The second attempt it sparked for a little longer than normal, but finally lit.

Since then, it's lit fine ever since. Is it normal for the pilot to seep all of it's gas out or something over a long period and need to purge like this, or do I have another issue?

My first assumption was a spider caused it and I guess it cleaned it self out but now I'm wondering if I should go through the pain to pull the burner tray out and give things an inspection.

Boiler is a Weil-Mclain EG series steamer from 2011.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    It's rejecting the barometric conversion.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    jonny88JUGHNEBob Bona_4
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Maybe dust on the flame sensor had to be burned off. After sitting a week my truck won't start on first try either. ;)

Pilot & line has no gas in it except during firing.
    You could have had air in your gas line.
    Any number of little things..... and we are all glad for continuous or at least 3 times retry for ignition.

Try it again every day and see if it stumbles again.
    ChrisJ
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    First start air in the line.
    RobGChrisJZman
  • ChrisJ
    How could there be air in the line though? I didn't work on any piping.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    WAG on my part is that some "air" might come with NG?? Being heavier than NG could settle down your pipe drop to boiler. Do you have NG water heater? Did you check the drip pipe on the bottom of NG drop? Has the utility done any work on UG NG lately?

More to worry about, air will turn the meter just like NG. :o
  • ChrisJ
    Don't think anything was done and yes to water heater and dryer and Weber grill
  • ChrisJ
    I found out this week the line coming in from the road runs at 50psi though which blows my mind
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    CALL BEFORE YOU DIG
    JUGHNEChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    jonny88 said:

CALL BEFORE YOU DIG

Yeah, no kidding.
    I guess I won't be seeing any drops in pressure due to heavy consumption in the winter.

• JUGHNE
    So the single regulator at the meter drops you from 50PSI to your 4 oz? No other regs in system inside?
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

So the single regulator at the meter drops you from 50PSI to your 4 oz? No other regs in system inside?

To be specific, 50 PSI to 6" W.C.
    This is what a tech from the gas company told me on Wednesday or Thursday when he was out here.

It's fed by a 1/2" plastic line they ran to the house in October 2011.

Why do you ask?
  • ChrisJ
    By the way, can a CGV suck air in if you shut off the input side and the area cools a decent amount? Not sure if the regulator has a vent or not and what can happen

I had the gas shut off to the boiler for a week or so while I switched over to the barometric and the basement cooled down quite a bit due to it cooling off at side and I had a minor dehumidifier situation. This probably resulted in a good 10-15 degree drop.
  • JUGHNE
    edited August 2015
    Professional curiosity, we have 10-15 PSI in the alley with meter/reg there. Then UG 1 1/4" steel coated/wrapped service pipe to house with cathode protection on entire system. UG service runs are 50 to 75' @ 4 ozs/7" WC.

We still call before digging, a shovel will not cut the steel pipe but could cut the coating which should be repaired before covering. :/

None of this would answer your question.......however your CGV question is for Tim.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

Professional curiosity, we have 10-15 PSI in the alley with meter/reg there. Then UG 1 1/4" steel coated/wrapped service pipe to house with cathode protection on entire system. UG service runs are 50 to 75' @ 4 ozs/7" WC.

We still call before digging, a shovel will not cut the steel pipe but could cut the coating which should be repaired before covering. :/

None of this would answer your question.......however your CGV question is for Tim.

Ah,
    Maybe it's because I'm on a state highway, no alley here.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    youse guys gotta stop this before I wet myself. The gas in the line from the gas valve to the pilot was lost during the summer by diffusion. When you turned it on the line had to bleed itself before it would light. To be specific it diffused through the .018" hole in the pilot orifice.
    bob
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2015
    bob said:

youse guys gotta stop this before I wet myself. The gas in the line from the gas valve to the pilot was lost during the summer by diffusion. When you turned it on the line had to bleed itself before it would light. To be specific it diffused through the .018" hole in the pilot orifice.

That's what I assumed happened, but I really wasn't sure if it made sense.

So basically, it's 100% normal after sitting all summer.
  • JUGHNE
    Something like this happens all the time. It is just that usually the homeowner isn't there to observe it. Try it a few times before winter really gets here. ;)
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Hydrogen molecules can get out of a steel pipe over time via diffusion through the pipe walls. This is why converting everything to hydrogen would be nearly impossible due to our steel distribution systems. If we decide to "Go Hydrogen", we are going to have to dig up all the old steel and replace it with fiberglass piping. which can hold hydrogen.

As others have noted, it usually isn't usually perceived as a problem and will catch by the third try before locking out.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    ChrisJZman