Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What happened to Icesailor

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Anyone have any idea what happened to him,I always enjoyed his input.
Tinman

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    "I have over 5 messages on the HH.com Server. I can type anything I want. It can't be posted because the "Send" button is dimmed out. Which locks up my computer. I must be blocked. It doesn't happen anywhere else. Usually, when a "Auto-save" is done, I'm locked up for good.

Please remove my ID and password. "

This was his last post...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I too miss Icesailor. I had the computer problem he described several times back then but not often lately.
    Does anyone here know him personally, maybe an E-mail would nudge him back.
    Mikey Lasagna
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I too enjoyed his posts. He gave me some very good advice on repairing old system valves and whatnot.

Hopefully he returns. I worked for a cranky old man during my formative teenage years, and his responses brought me back in time a bit...
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    We dug into his problem, which was defiantly on his PC and not anything we were going doing. I repeatedly offered to help. We needed to know his browser, version, computer, etc. He never answered me.
    Retired and loving it.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    After running a virus tool you should run malwarebytes to see if there is something lurking in the background. It will usually find and kill the lurker and if it can't it usually suggests what can be done to manually expunge it.

One thing to keep in mind is the longer you have been using the same system the more likely it would benefit greatly from a ground up reinstall of everything. It's a real pita but sometimes it's the only way.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Charlie from wmass
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I try to be all knowing but Chris had the time to be all knowing more often. I figured he was busy with summer time stuff outdoors.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • DanHolohan
    I asked Vanilla Forums to investigate all of his complaints. They did and found nothing in the system that would cause the problem he was having. They asked for additional information about what he was using so we could help him solve the problem on his PC. I asked and asked and emailed him. He chose not to answer me.

I paid for the research and troubleshooting.

Can't do much more than that.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'BrienCanucker
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I am sure you have done all you can. Too many of us can post for it to be a system issue.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I figured as much. I've had issues logging in (and sometimes even just viewing as a 'lurker') on this forum and several others, but only when using my 2 older PCs.

One of those is used by my kids (and Lord knows they click on every little thing they see) and the other was my old primary machine that I abandoned after yet another infection.

I now use PCs built by a friend of mine. I trade repairs to his vehicles for a new PC every couple years. I'm not entirely sure what he puts on them for security, but it must work. I think it's AdBlock Plus and MalwareBytes maybe, plus AVG...and of course, specific instructions to never use Internet Explorer, only Firefox or Chrome. And to be careful about what I click on -- haha.

Hopefully he decides to rejoin at some point. And maybe to try a Mac...I hear they aren't quite as susceptible to issues like this. I frequently use my iphone, ipad, and my wife's Kindle Fire to view the forum, and they've never given me any kind of trouble (knock on wood).
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Since switching to the Vanilla platform I have experienced times where it didn't remember me and I had to log back in. I would say maybe 30 times or so, but it's been good for a couple weeks.
    I use a Mac and typically have very few problems, most of the problems I have are self inflicted!!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Spence
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I'll always have a place for Ice what Hot Rod said. He's a tangent you just have to ride out to the point of intersection. There will usually be a point at that intersection.
    Ironman
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    I too have missed the comments, didn't take notice till now. I don't mean to go out on a line here, but possibly/ maybe or perhaps no,.... it's financial? I am more than willing to help and bring back a valued member!. Instead of a brick........A cinder block might help...? My .02 All us that have been there for 8 + years, is there any problem?................................................

Peace;
    Mike T.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    I miss him too! But I sort of have to wonder, being of a certain age myself, if he's well? Anyone know him well enough to have a usable e-mail to enquire of him?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Empire_2Zman
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Not I,.... but I still have him on friends list through HH.com but no reply. I fear the worst. thing is that most here that have been here for a while noticed and that cant be good. "Always hope for the best, expect the worst, be prepared for anything""!

Mike T.

Hello Jamie.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Not to hijack the thread but we seem to have lost "Ironman" Bob Boan as well. I hope it's just that he is very busy with A/C season but I don't remember him ever going this long without posting.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I remember Dan trying to help him, he either refused to respond, or just never came back.

Either way, you can't help someone that won't let you. :/
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    Bob has only been missing a few weeks. Hopefully is on vacation.
    Ice on the other hand, well, hopefully he took up golf, he has been spending time in Florida. I would be worried about the gators but I don't think they would have anything to do with him.
    Seriously, He has been missed but, what do you do...
    Carl
    Albert Einstein
    RobGBobbyBoy
  • RobG
    Carl, the last post I found from Bob was from mid May. That's one heck of a vacation.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Anyone have his address? Last name? Phone number?
  • Zman
    RobG,
    I see what you mean. I mistakenly saw his "last activity" in late June.
    That is the strange thing about these forums, you can't stop by and check on people like you would for your other friends.
    I do hope all is well.
    Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I miss them both and everything they contribute.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Ice knows a LOT! I hope he is just in the "Off Season"!
  • DanHolohan
    People come and go here. I've learned from them all. Nothing stays the same. It's life.

Hug your kids.
    Retired and loving it.
    TinmanRobert O'Brienbilltwocase
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I still want to know how he could post that he can't post?
    Yeah, I was also wondering what happened to him. I do miss his knowledge base. Hope it was not because of an onset of something medical.
    Rick
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    RobG said:

Not to hijack the thread but we seem to have lost "Ironman" Bob Boan as well. I hope it's just that he is very busy with A/C season but I don't remember him ever going this long without posting.

Rob,
    Thanks for thinking about me.
    I've just been extremely busy. Normally, A/C is my slower season, but this year I've taken on even more extra carricular activities. In addition to being a director for our local county league ball team, my son is also playing Legion ball and some of the games are as far away as 2 1/2 hours. Church, and it's activities, also keep us busy. I'm also trying to organize a fall league team. A lot of irons in the fire.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    RobG4Johnpipe
  • RobG
    Ironman said:

RobG said:

Rob,
    Thanks for thinking about me.
    I've just been extremely busy. Normally, A/C is my slower season, but this year I've taken on even more extra carricular activities. In addition to being a director for our local county league ball team, my son is also playing Legion ball and some of the games are as far away as 2 1/2 hours. Church, and it's activities, also keep us busy. I'm also trying to organize a fall league team. A lot of irons in the fire.
    Glad to hear all is well. You're not called the Ironman for nothing!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I recall from one of Ice's post, I think in response to a conversation he and Chrisj had, that his life has been riddled with many, many health issues. I hope he is OK and just being stubborn or pissed at us for something we said.
  • vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    I still want to know how he could post that he can't post?

Rick:
    Ice had a sophisticated program on his computer that would print the spoken word. When he responded to me it had all the accents correct on the word "Quebec". I feel that high tech has overwhelmed him at the present time.

He likely used another computer to post his last message.

I feel its tough to keep a good Scotsman down, so I am confident he will be back.

I have just recovered from ten days of no phone line, no internet. It is great I still had amateur radio. hi hi

Vibert_C

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I have his home phone number in Florida. I will try and reach out to him to see what's up. I am interested in having him teach for the RPAU. Can't let a valuable human resource like that one get away....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    jonny88RobGCanuckerZman