Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Unrelated to heating, gas cans

Options
GW
GW Posts: 5,257

anyone have any tricks to keep the gas fumes from getting into the garage? Back in the old days, my grandfather had shotgun shells for this purpose, but no more around.

thanks for any tips


IMG_5620.jpeg

Coincidentally and unrelated, the last couple posts I’ve submitted, the first one did not stick so I repeat the process and the second time it sticks

Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Posts: 7,555

    Get new cans

    You know the new style that leak gas when trying to fill something.

    GWEdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 21,046

    Usually you take the spouts off and reverse them so they point into the tank and then they have a blank plastic cap to cover the spout hole.

    mattmia2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Posts: 27,826

    At least those have spouts which are long enough. A lot of the newer ones have short spouts and fancy valve arrangements which don't work anyway, or at least not for long.

    I take the spouts off and store them and use solid screw on caps. And no, I don't remember when or where I got the caps…

    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GW
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Posts: 1,957
    edited September 11
  • As much as the mechanisms are terrible on new spouts and drive me bananas, I think it's time to replace those. The right one especially as that plastic looks sun bleached which means its going to be brittle and much more prone to breakage. On the left one you might be lucky enough to find a cork or rubber plug that conveniently fits into the spout (confirm rubber types! not all like Gas)

    hot_rodbjohnhy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,369

    Those slip on caps will pop off if the can warms up. Almost instantly when you put them in the sun.

    Some of the new design RV gas cans are real

    Screenshot 2026-09-11 at 12.32.54β€―PM.png

    nice, a bit $$

    All the "glamor" Jeeps running around here have these RotoPax

    Screenshot 2026-09-11 at 12.33.27β€―PM.png
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GW
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,111

    if you do some googling yo can find solid caps to screw on in place of the spouts. you can get replacement vent caps too although i think that snap in style always leaks a little.

    you can get the ventless type can and an aftermarket plain spout and solid cap for it, those will keep the gas fresh longer then the ones with the vent with a snap cap.

    GW
  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257

    Ed yes, that’s just how I transport them from the gas station

    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Posts: 1,056

    I stopped using those cans a few years ago. Me and most of the people I know switched to these no spill cans. Not one failure in more than five years.

    https://nospill.com/

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,369

    I’ve gone all electric, mower, string trimmer, blower, small chain saw, and pickup truck

    No more gas cans in the garage!

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,111

    i think some searching will find a cap for the screw on vent cap on the can on the right

    GW
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Posts: 2,559

    I'm sure glad I don't live in a world where there are no shotgun shells!

    The can on the left does not have a replacement spout that fits, so you can glue a cap on a short chunk of PVC to slide over the top or shave down a dowel/stick to fit inside. I have a 1 gallon can with a bolt wrapped in electrical tape plugging the spout that's been that way for 30 years. Maybe even an expandable rubber plug like is in a boat?

    The can on the right you can do the same or just go to any store that sells hardware or power sports type of stuff and get a replacement spout for like ten bucks.

    Or buy the new cans, immediately throw the spout away, and install a replacement. You have to drill a 1/2" hole in the back by the handle for a vent, but the spouts come with a barbed vent that you push into the hole. The cool part about these is they also make a big bore spout with about a 1" hole so you can empty it in about 30 seconds. I have several of these for diesel fuel as most diesel equipment has fuel fillers that are in a place where you don't want to hold up a 50 pound can for 4 minutes.

    Otherwise if you're into nostalgia, there are several hundred shotgun shells in my dumpster at home that I'd happily let you take your pick of.

    PC7060GWSTEAM DOCTOR
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Posts: 17,679

    I use Safety 2 cans.

    They can still vent to relieve pressure but I've never had it happen.

    No, they're not cheap but they work and they work well.

    The valve setup makes filling even small things easy because you can throttle the flow and stop with your fingers.

    1000028780.jpg 1000028781.jpg

    Single pipe 392sqft system with an EG-40 rated for 325sqft and it's silent and balanced at all times.

    PC7060GWGGross
  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257

    I think the thread size would be a little difficult to ascertain

    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257

    oh my- you’ve crossed the river for sure.

    My lawn takes me an hour, 52 inch mower. I’ll be staying with petrol for quite some time.

    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Posts: 27,826
    edited September 12

    Addendum and further thoughts β€” you mention recharging in 4 hours from our PV array. Which almost exactly breaks even (we generate as much power as we use) over a year. Adding the trucks or bigger tractors… hmmm. We are thinking of petitioning to be able to add to the array, however.

    Oy. Well, OK if it works… my main lawn mower is a 44 inch Simplicity, 25 years old… can't afford a gas replacement, never mind an electric (takes about 2 and a half hours to mow). I do have a small electric push mower, so I'll use the tech. if it works. Two of the three farm tractors are gas (76 and 72 years old, still run just fine); the third is diesel, as is the forwarder, but both are pre-DEF so they're OK. Three trucks β€” one diesel with a lot of electronics, one with bad brakes, and one β€” 56 years old β€” which runs just fine. We need the diesel for trailer towing, and when it runs well it's great β€” but maintenance on the computers is really expensive… one passenger car, diesel.

    The generators are gas powered; diesel would be nice, but we cheaped out when we bought them!

    Almost all the light stuff β€” chain saws, trimmers, that sort of thing β€” is Stihl gas equipment.

    Most of the small power tools, though, are battery powered.

    The thing about the electric tech you mention is that β€” so far at least β€” it does not appear to be repairable, and does not seem to have the service life to justify the expense.

    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,369

    Up to 4 acres per charge with these, charge it from your PV array!

    Screenshot 2026-09-12 at 8.10.00β€―AM.png
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GW
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Posts: 27,826

    I was editing my comment when you put up that ad for the Ego zero turn. I do have an Ego push mower β€” and honestly love it. I've looked at zero turns, but they aren't well suited to our lawns (a tractor type is much better!), and I'd love an electric. Really, I would. But a) I can't afford it and b) the Simplicity is quite reliable, easily maintained, excellent parts availability when something wears out β€” and does an excellent job.

    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • leonz
    leonz Posts: 1,941

    It's time to send those can to the happy gasoline can hunting ground far far away. Sadly they cannot be recycled but can safely be incinerated at a refuse incinerator.

    I was going to replace my eagle brand type one safety can with new type 3 safety cans but the price stopped me sadly.

    I have 4 of the gallon and a quarter NO SPILL button vented injection molded gas cans and I am very happy with them. I do not lose any gasoline as the gaskets in the nozzle head and the springs are very strong.

    I still have my plastic eagle 5 gallon kerosene can with the gravity spout for my kerosene fired salamader that has the internal vent tube in the spout and I will need to replace it soon.

  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,111
    edited September 12

    the people selling the replacement caps will tell yu what brands of cans the different caps fit.

    of course i have a 25 year old rubbermade can that has a screw on vent cap that has had a piece of plastic bag screwed on the vent with the threaded part of the cap for probably 23 years

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,369

    I understand, I mowed about 3 acres at our place in Missouri, a 72” finish mower behind a 4500 JD. It was just to rough for a ZT.

    We had lots of trees so a Ferris ZT was great for that type of mowing.

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Posts: 260
    edited September 14

    There are some spout options in this test that have screw on caps:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHO9S2-e7A

  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257

    more cans in the chicken shed $36.99 each, no low balling. IKWIG

    IMG_5648.jpeg
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    PC7060DJD775
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Posts: 17,679

    Am I the only one that can smell that picture?

    Single pipe 392sqft system with an EG-40 rated for 325sqft and it's silent and balanced at all times.

    PC7060
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Posts: 9,012

    NJ Steam Homeowner.
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

    PC7060
  • Amazon has replacement spouts with a screw-on spout cap. Converted my cans, works well.

    PC7060
  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257

    I think we’re talking about different threads

    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    mattmia2ethicalpaul
  • GW
    GW Posts: 5,257
    IMG_5947.jpeg

    Amazon to the rescue

    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Posts: 17,679
    edited 12:48PM

    The one on the left is a style my dad used to use all the time and I even bought a used one a while back. I think he's still got 4 on hand.

    But like with yours, they get faded, brittle etc.

    It's a shame. That style can with the flexible tube, cap and the vent on the back was extremely nice to use. You could have the tube down inside the can, or sticking out with the cap on the end. It was also affordable!

    So, we "improved" things and got rid of them.

    The Safety II can is better, but it's also heavier and what, 5, maybe 8 times the cost? It's not 5 times better, that's for sure I wouldn't even say 2 times.

    Single pipe 392sqft system with an EG-40 rated for 325sqft and it's silent and balanced at all times.

    GW
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Posts: 667

    I had no idea that so many people store their gas cans with the spout sticking out.

    I always flip my spout and put into can with the stopper bit plus the 'nut'.

    At one point, I needed a few spout gaskets and didnt like the price for replacement gaskets. Ordered an assortment of spouts/gaskets/nuts/small caps from Amazon. The threads on the nuts were not all the same. Thats when I discovered that a couple of my cans were old Wedco brand and used a courser thread. Was able to make all my cans happy again.

    I did years of jerry can filling my oil tank for heating (about 110 jerry cans a year at 7 cans per trip), so Im thankful to be migrating to propane heat.

    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,111

    the can on the left is what i have had for about 25 years. it is rubbermade branded. the end of the vent cap broke off like 20 years ago and has had a piece of a plastic bag screwed under it