Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why do induction steam boilers not exist?

Options
Waher
Waher Member Posts: 252
edited February 9 in Strictly Steam
With induction cooktops becoming more common, I wonder why the same technology hasn't matriculated into boilers and water heaters compared to heat pumps.

Comments

• espire
    espire Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Induction is uniquely beneficial to stovetop cooking, where with traditional gas/electric burners, a majority of the heat would flow around the sides of the pot and be wasted. So while electricity is generally more expensive than gas per BTU, with induction burners you are getting much more of the energ into your food.

On the other hand, boilers and water heaters are fairly efficient in terms of getting most of the energy into the water. Comparing the design of a pot to the design of a boiler, you will see many more opportunities for the heat to contact water in the latter, instead of just flowing around the edge. As a result of this, the increased cost of electricity per BTU at 100% efficiency will be higher than gas at, say, 80% efficiency.
    WaherWMno57ChicagoCooperator
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,908
    edited February 11
    Options
    IN-DUCT-SHOWN
    I just broke down the word phonetically and I still cant see how the heat IN a DUCT has SHOWN any benefits over heat in a PIPE. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way. but I like Steam and Water heat, and even radiant floor heat better that heat from a heat pump coming out my DUCTwork.

But that's just me!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

dabrakeman
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    edited February 11
    Options
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,371
    Options
    SlamDunk said:
    Probably. But why? Ah yes. Looks good. You can't beat the conversion efficiency of an immersion direct resistance water heater.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    Why? I dont know. Speed?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,642
    Options
    I've seen a place with induction heaters. They fuse quartz into blanks for manufacturing. They're on metered primaries.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,371
    Options
    There are some things for which induction heaters are preferred. There are some things for which they are the only realistic heat source. There are some things, however, for which they are overkill -- and heating water in a tank or boiler is one of those (this is NOT the same as boiling a pot on the stove. There they are more efficient). So... for your very hot water or low pressure steam -- go immersion resistance heaters. For lower temperature hot water air to water heat pumps, or ground source, are much more efficient. For high pressure steam, so far at least you are better off with combustion or nuclear sources.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ChicagoCooperator