Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A terrible steam tragedy in Brooklyn

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,011
Horrific...Infant dead.. Trying to post the article .  Mad Dog 🐕 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,363
    Options
    I saw that. At a guess... zero maintenance and boiler pressure way too high...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • Ben_Nash
    Ben_Nash Member Posts: 9
    Options

I saw that. At a guess... zero maintenance and boiler pressure way too high...

My experience in NYC was almost all the contractors I called were either no answer or no show.
    I guess majority of the building super/home owners ended up with inexperienced steam contractors.

The company that helped me with my new boiler set up are ignoring my calls. Not sure if it's a NYC thing but this is insane.
    ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    In my almost 40 years in the business.  Business ethics, integrity is rarer and rarer..Mad 🐕 Dog 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,640
    edited January 21
    Options
    Try getting a few estimates for granite countertops. I bet it'll be a whole different experience.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Its all across America 🇺🇸.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Leaking steam radiators and uncapped/improperly capped radiator supply lines is very common. I know because I hear it frequently. Thank goodness it's usually during renovation or an adult was working on it and was able to get it turned off. But there are times like this news article and that from 2016.

Just last week a contractor was on the hook for an entire manhattan apartment. Had his guys take out all the radiators and shut off all the valves. Unfortunately for them, one of the valves leaked. They came back after the weekend and the entire apartment was ruined. Had to rip out all the walls and floors.