Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Payment expectation for multiple service visits to fix 1 problem

Options
DJD775
DJD775 Member Posts: 252
My dad's condo is heated by a heat pump with backup heat strips. Last month he received an excessively high electric bill and upon inspection of his outdoor unit he noticed the fan wasn't running when it should be. He called the company that installed the unit and the sent a tech out. The tech changed a out a fuse and said that should do it and was on his way. Upon further observation my dad noticed the fan was only working intermittently. The same tech came back and this time replaced the contactor. All worked well immediately after the contactor change so my dad was satisfied. Within a day he noticed the fan was still not working properly. The company said they would send out a more experienced tech. This time it was diagnosed as a bad control board which ended up being the ultimate fix. After all was said and done he was billed labor for every visit plus parts. I personally don't feel like he should have to foot the whole bill for for the first two visits as the tech was more or less a parts changer. I'm asking the pros here what is fair and expected for a situation like this?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,869
    Options
    Unless written on the invoice, if I have to come back the labor is covered by warranty. Parts are an extra.

Have you called the service company and asked them?
    DJD775
  • DJD775
    Options
    Your policy is in line with what I was thinking. My dad has called them but they didn't want to move on the invoice. I told him that did not seem right so he is calling again today. Worst case he pays them then does not use them again. Foolish on their part as they service many units in the condo complex including my dad's friends.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,697
    Options
    Might ask to talk to an owner if you aren't getting what you want. You might get a different answer from someone trying to get you off the phone to get to the 3 people on hold vs someone with a stake in the company.
    DJD775EdTheHeaterMan
  • DJD775
    Options
    @pecmsg @EdTheHeaterMan @mattmia2 I agree with everyone's posts and I'm hoping my dad will get this resolved without me stepping in. Next time I'm at his place I'll read the fine print on the invoices.
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    At least there are still some companies still around with a conscious.
    DJD775Mad Dog_2pecmsgethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,011
    Options
    Ed is the best!!  In short, tell them. "Look, I know its not easy to find and train good help, but why am I paying for YOUR worker's inexperience and on the job training?  The guy obviously misdiagnosed the job. Would you accept this in YOUR home???"

What I think is fair here is. .

1) Pay for all parts and full labor on the Experienced tech who finally fixed it.

2) Throw them something small  for first two calls.  Negotiate that down. 

As a Homeowner :Depending on how they handle this, will determine if you use them again. Tell them that too!  Sometimes, even really good companies can make this error.  

As a Business owner: Charge for all parts. Charge for last tech. Send Jr for training.  Mad Dog 🐕 

DJD775GGross
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 911
    edited January 22
    Options
    This reminds me of a job done by a service tech that worked for the same company that I did in 1970. The customer called with a no A/C call. The tech sent there changed the following parts; contactor, 24 volt transformer, capacitors, T87F thermostat, then called the shop and ordered a new compressor. After the compressor was changed, the A/C still would not work. He called the shop for help and they sent another tech (me) to the job. I asked the tech if he checked the "screw in fuse" that was on the power supply to the furnace which also provided 24 volts for the A/C unit. That was the actual problem. The customer balked at the service costs and my boss had to negotiate an amount that the customer would pay. True story.
    CLamb
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    At least there are still some companies still around with a conscious.
    The customer just had to go to their office to help them find it 😅
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    CLamb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    We had a guy I don't know how he survived as a teck for 10 years but he did.

1. On a walk in box on Super Bown Sunday he condemned a condensing unit, it would start and shut off. Had the supply house open up and get one changed it and this one would start and shut off Turns out all it was was a bad LL solenoid. Guy at the supply house was not happy he missed the game.

2. Same guy went on 2 ac calls. 2 units wouldn't run compressors started but no condenser fans. He took the condenser fans out and tossed them in the dumpster bought 2 new motors and they wouldn't run either. Both condenser fans had fan cyclers and both units were low on gas.

We had a big Viessmann Mod Con installed in a college. New Year's Eve it quit. No one could get it going and Viessmann tech support was nowhere to be found.

College insisted they get heat. The got a rental boiler on a trailer put it outside on a trailer core drilled the wall for hoses hooked up gas water and electrical and got it running worked all night.

The Viessmann had a bad gas pressure switch.

Being older and not the best with microprocessor controls I know I would have tried jumping every limit and safety until I found the problem,

Never considered myself the best technician especially on some of the newer equipment but just using common sense I was better than most all the young guys. They sit there on there phone trying to google the answers
    delcrossvCLamb