Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Patching a hole in a steam line

Options
gfreynolds
gfreynolds Member Posts: 2
edited January 16 in Strictly Steam

I have single pipe steam system with a pin hole leak in 2" line. I l'm thinking about trying to plug hole with high strength JWeld epoxy and adding a screw clamp with a rubber gasket? I had a four foot section of pipe replaced just before the leak that cost $ a year ago. I have also installed a new IBC boiler and hot water baseboard system. I kept the steam system for a backup. The boiler is only six years old.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    That would work. For that leak. As you have discovered, however, when a pipe leaks from the inside, you really need to replace the whole section of pipe...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulquestiongfreynoldsHap_Hazzard
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Skinner clamp until the pipe can be replaced!
    gfreynolds
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Usually the mains only rust out when the boiler is throwing liquid water up in to them so you may have other problems or at least the old boiler had problems.
    questionHap_Hazzard
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    Boiler water is more corrosive than condensate?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • mattmia2
    Options

Boiler water is more corrosive than condensate?

more plentiful
  • RTW
    RTW Member Posts: 60
    Options
    I had the same leaking issue on the mud leg pipe next to steam boiler. Someone on this site recommended using "silicone tape" found in plumbing supply stores until such time I had a chance to replace that small section (after the heating season). It did the job just fine and its been months
  • KarlW
    KarlW Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Folks are right that you are most likely on borrowed time. When my return started leaking I tried patching it. It mostly worked, except, of course, then the The next hole opened up, and then the next.

I ended up replacing about 60 feet of pipe in the process within three months of my initial leak. The pipes lasted 102 years in my house.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Might be a sag in the pipe, allowing water to accumulate. My knowledge of chemistry and physics, is quite limited. I would think that there's more of a risk of corrosion, when the metal pipe is exposed to moisture and air / oxygen. The return pipes are 100% submerged by water, which I would assume protects them to an extent. The means, if they have sitting water in them, would have the oxygen and water element. Just the thoughts of a physics fool. 
  • ethicalpaul
    edited January 16
    Options
    I would tend to agree with you, @STEAM DOCTOR but we see that wet returns rot out a lot faster than mains. I bet your wet returns weren't 102 years old, @KarlW

I admit I am confused how more plentiful boiler water in a main would cause more corrosion...it's only more plentiful during firing, then it drains just like the condensate. But there's clearly something going on.

Anyway, I hijacked too much already. @gfreynolds I'd go ahead and try a patch. It might last the rest of the year, or it might last for years. I saw a repair with some fiberglass material and resin wrapped completely around a 1 foot section of header, and it looked very solid. At our pressures, it's not much of an ask for a patch.
  • mattmia2
    Options

I admit I am confused how more plentiful boiler water in a main would cause more corrosion...it's only more plentiful during firing, then it drains just like the condensate. But there's clearly something going on.

More of the pipe is wet and for a longer period of time. If everything is pitched properly the condensate only runs in a little stream in the center of the pipe.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    I would tend to agree with you, @STEAM DOCTOR but we see that wet returns rot out a lot faster than mains. I bet your wet returns weren't 102 years old, @KarlW I admit I am confused how more plentiful boiler water in a main would cause more corrosion...it's only more plentiful during firing, then it drains just like the condensate. But there's clearly something going on. Anyway, I hijacked too much already. @gfreynolds I'd go ahead and try a patch. It might last the rest of the year, or it might last for years. I saw a repair with some fiberglass material and resin wrapped completely around a 1 foot section of header, and it looked very solid. At our pressures, it's not much of an ask for a patch.
    Most mains are properly pitched and have little to no water in them
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    To the OP. Definitely try a patch. I have seen mains, with rubber no hub couplings, catching up holes. I've seen some that were there for at least a few years. You need to get from now to the end of the heating season.
  • gfreynolds
    gfreynolds Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for you comments. I suspect there is a sag in the return line caused from settling or the first repair. It is just a back up system at this point. Just like the old radiators and I may attempt to replace the whole line in warmer weather. Although there may be a better problem as for the previous leak I was getting buckets of water.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

More of the pipe is wet and for a longer period of time. If everything is pitched properly the condensate only runs in a little stream in the center of the pipe.

When I installed the sight glasses on my return lines, I was surprised at how small the volume of condensate really is. It's barely a trickle. You can really see that 1:1,646 volume ratio in action. I wouldn't be surprised if the tiny amount of condensate left in a hot main at the end of a cycle completely evaporates in a few seconds.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ethicalpaul
    edited January 18
    Options
    Evaporates where?

(and as an aside, all the interior surfaces of the main are wet during the firing cycle and probably much later too--all the interior surfaces are condensing steam all the time)
    Hap_Hazzard