Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressuretrol problem

Options
John732
John732 Member Posts: 24
hello everyone. brand new utica steam boiler install . pressuretrol went out on cut out. like its supposed to do , ran a cycle, but then on second time around then dam thing did not cut back in.... so i tapped on it, bingo turned on. ran thru a cycle again the did not come on. So i took it back to supply house and replaced under warranty. installed and did the same exact thing. it works if i tap on it.... i even took pigtail off to clean for **** and giggles being its a brand new boiler. can anyone help as to what i should do. this only happen to me once before and i replaced and no more problem. this time its driving me crazy. can it be another faulty pressuretrol? i tried different settings but initially i started with .5psi cut in, 11/2 cut out. tried others and it does work on cut out , just not turning back on when pressure has dropped. now i know how to pipe boilers so not worried about that, but regardless of situation when boiler drops to below set cut in the dam thing should kick back on. any feed back would appreciate.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,875
    edited January 7
    Options
    What’s the cut out / cut in set for?

the dials on the controller are not accurate. 
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Do you have a low pressure gauge to verify the settings on the pressuretrol are cutting in and out at the desired pressure? The dials have a significant margin of error in calibration and without a low pressure gauge to fine tune the settings, you will only have a ballpark idea of the actual operating pressures controlled by the pressuretrol.
    John732
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @John732,
    Build one of these, then you will know if you are playing with junk.

Testing the Accuracy of Honeywell Pressuretrol
    https://youtu.be/mE1-QuUx4_c

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    John732
  • John732
    Options
    no i do not have a low pressure gauge probably should get one but still boiler not coming back on with no pressure in boiler so spring should restart boiler on cut in. i tap on it it starts or i push on lever inside. i had at .5 cut in . i tried at 1. ,cut out working fine. give or take because i don't have the lower gauge just the standard one with boiler
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,387
    Options
    Pressuretorls are notoriously unreliable with the cutin set at the lowest setting. Try raising the cutin to 0.75
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulBobC
  • John732
    Options
    Thank you all for your feed back, but the solution was replacing the pressuretrol again for New i fought with the manufactor they gave a case number and went and installed new. so finally the 3rd one worked which is what i thought nothing wrong just poorly made control, had me second guessing something i was doing wrong but nope heat running and working just fine. i skimmed another time just because i had time and so far working like a charm. again thank you gentleman and fellow hvac/ plumbers for your help.
    CLamb
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 743
    Options
    Per my post today,  steam controls are generally garbage. You have my sympathy. 

I think a small manufacturer could make bank on high quality controls. I'd pay $500 for one that actually worked,  and had a proportional output for modulated burner control.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    edited January 13
    Options
    Maybe look through the Dwyer catalog. Their products may not be focused on Steam, more generic, but the quality may be better.
    https://dwyer-inst.com/en/dcatalog

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    ethicalpaul