Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Green patina/corrosion on copper pipes = replace?

seized123
seized123 Member Posts: 297
There’s lots of stuff online that says if your pipes are green/corroded you should replace them, but a lot of that is on plumbing outfits’ websites, and of course they’d love to replace your pipes.

Then I read stuff that says that “patina” will not eat through the pipes to cause a problem, or would take forever to do so, or even that it protects the pipe! If I don’t replace these I can just clean them (probably either ketchup or catsup,  depending, and mesh tape). The pipes are decades old, and there are more, some less accessible than these. See photos.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,945
    You don't have a problem. There might be a tiny weep responsible for the last picture, but otherwise... I'd say most of what I see is from flux that never got fully wiped off. Leave them be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    realliveplumber
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    All the flux and solder buggers on the inside will eat the pipes before the patina on the outside. It's a good idea to clean it up so you can see if you have a leak. The patina itself should not cause any issues.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • seized123
    @Jamie Hall and @Zman, regarding your helpful observations I will use an old venerable plumbing term(?): Yay!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    Probably a small seep on the uppermost fitting. It may have sealed itself off?
    If it were flux, you would see it in more places.
    I’d wonder if the tube was reamed, judging by the workmanship
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    looks like something was leaking on it from further up
    Larry Weingarten
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,975
    Some of it is from leaks. Some is from failure to wash off the flux. Whoever installed it was a bit sloppy.
    SuperTech
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Probably an upper pipe leak(ing).
    Sand cloth all of the green off and periodically check for what is most likely a very slow leak if it hasn't healed already.
    And what has been mentioned above^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ChrisJ
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,349
    Its the white,  crusty condition you have to watch. The inside of the pipe is usually green like that from Chlorination...par for the course...no concern.  Normal weather will turn Exposed Copper green outdoors.  When you see the crusty, white stuff effervescence?? then you  gave a gradual weeping leak that will get worse. Cut that out...Always make sure all Flux is off the pipe & fitting.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • seized123
    @Mad Dog_2 I've been away from the forum for a while. Your breakdown into the two conditions is VERY helpful (I have both on some fixtures). I am in Plumbing 1 now and have signed up for Plumbing 2 at the local BOCES. Am also thinking of going to a couple of one-day classes on burner stuff given by Beckett up in Mass. (I'm about to start a new thread asking if anyone knows about those.)
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,304
    Some folks just don't have an eye for fine art!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

pecmsgCLamb
  • seized123
    Very nice pieces, wonder what they’ll fetch on the art market.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,046
    seized123 said:
    Very nice pieces, wonder what they’ll fetch on the art market.
    About $2.20 per pound!
    GGrossLarry WeingartenErin Holohan HaskellSuperTech