Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Would you hire this Spammer to fix/replace your Boiler?

WMno57
WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408

Love the photo. I see multiple warning signs of "why not to hire" in the photo. What do the other Wallies see?
Original photo here:
https://allseasonshomehvac.com/

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408

Ironman
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Are those for extracting Elephants' teeth?  Real HVAC guys wouldn't be caught dead with a Carpenters belt and kangaroo pouch..no no!  That wrench is extremely odd...It looks a Non-sparking tool for explosive atmospheres.  Other than that...It would behoove them to consult an actual tradesman...in that trade to avoid such sillyness...Mad Dog 🐕 
    WMno57Ironman
  • TonKa
    TonKa Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2023
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Are those for extracting Elephants' teeth?  Real HVAC guys wouldn't be caught dead with a Carpenters belt and kangaroo pouch..no no!  That wrench is extremely odd...It looks a Non-sparking tool for explosive atmospheres.  Other than that...It would behoove them to consult an actual tradesman...in that trade to avoid such sillyness...Mad Dog 🐕 

Isn't that a Swedish style pipe wrench?

I'm guessing they offshore outsourced that Photoshop hack job and were careless with their ad approval.

Edit: I'm sure of it now. The Audi ahead of the van has a Switzerland license plate... unless it's someone from there trying to expand their service territory. 🤔 😄
    WMno57Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 652
    Don't worry that guy has a very knowledgeable boss who helps him over the phone sometimes. They had me at "Hot Service at cool Prices"
    WMno57EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited October 2023
    Don't let that wrench he is holding fool you, that is actually a sawed off shotgun disguised as a wrench, There are two Colt Peacemakers hidden in the back of that tool belt. 4 dozen rounds of ammo for the colts and a box of shells for wrench shot gun in those front pouches. The pliers and tape measure are to fool you into thinking this guy is legit. After you let him in, you have no choice but to let him fix your boiler ...and pay what ever the price he charges!

And like it !

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • SteamFTW
    SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2023
    This makes me think of a line from the mighty E. R. Pierce (Practical Manual, 1911), whom @DanHolohan had the pleasure of discovering, and bringing back for us to learn from.
    "Nearly every day some honest well-meaning fitter loses a job to some house-wrecking concern which [underbids] him."
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • Teemok
    That's a wolf in sheep's clothing. He pull's in $3500 a day average and they only refund $600, all with a pleasant smile and super clean boots.
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    edited October 2023
    I’ve been doing a lot of training at these mega shops in the Utah valley. I’ll bet there are 50 or more between Ogden and Provo 35- 70 truck repair only shops. Fancy trucks, billboards, constant mailers, etc.

15 minutes in a room with their hydronics department is enough to know which techs actually understand hydronics. It’s always the ones that have the library of Idronics😁

If I were to guess, 10% or less of the plumbing hvac tradespeople truly understand hydronics. The theory, calculations, piping. Then being able to troubleshoot equipment that is 20 years and older. That is not a classroom teachable part of the trade, it takes years of experience.
    That is a very, very rare bird to find.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2Ironman
  • SteamFTW
    SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2023
    Wow, I had no idea "Woobun" Mass looks so much like Europe!
    TonKa said:

The Audi ahead of the van has a Switzerland license plate...

Yep, the plate is from Basel. France, Germany meet Switzerland right there. Nice place!
    hot_rod said:

...10% or less of the plumbing hvac tradespeople truly understand hydronics. The theory, calculations, piping.

That makes it even more ironic that they should have chosen that photo at random. Hydronics relies on fluid dynamics, and Basel is where Daniel Bernoulli lived, taught, and is buried. Had to pay my respects at his grave when I was lucky enough to visit years ago.

Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
    WMno57
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Too young.
    Too clean.
    Too pretty.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Looks to me like a Massachusetts modeling agency hired this model. Area code (978)
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    edited October 2023
    Ad agencies know what consumers respond to

Back in the early 1990s I visited a George Brazil shop in So Cal. He was one of the first to put full size pretty  boys on his box trucks

the truck decals were reflective material
    when they drove into neighborhoods dogs would bark at this giant glowing male model plumber with a toolbox in hand floating down the street.
    could be the same guy, he is ageless

They had to tone done the reflective man decal😉
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    WMno57
  • Teemok
    I was sent to a Maio system brain washi..... I mean flat rate sales seminar in LA, late 90's. It was a valuable experience viewing it positively. At the least, I learned a lot about how good truck organization could be from seeing a Brazil Hackney truck. George and Maurice were hero's to a couple of my bosses who weren't yet offering any commission cuts. I got my license just as they started putting big teeth on the wet behind the ears techs and the mod/cons were taking market. Making the phone ring was key and the internet changed all that. Yellow pages for what? On call beepers! Now you're not legit unless all techs wear patches that remind customers what country we are in while they are purchasing perceived value with picture time Ipads.
    Mad Dog_2realliveplumberSuperTech
  • hot_rod
    It is hard to deny the number crunching involved with coming up with a selling price. Regardless if you flat rate , T&M or any version of pricing. Add up all YOUR costs, divide by 2000 hours in a year. Although 2000 billiable hours a year is really not that do-able.

That was the key take away for me from Blau, Brazil, Maio. Know what it costs to keep the doors open.

The hourly rate required to "cover the nut" frightened many plumbers, when they ran the exercise. Some learned how to be profitable, build a retirement fund, others not.

Ford/ Chevy
    Cast iron/ mod con
    Flat rate/ T&M

Nice that we all get to make decisions based on our comfort level.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    TeemokrealliveplumberMad Dog_2
  • Teemok
    I won't go back to T and M except for very rare cases. Maio was valuable for the number crunching, though my employers had motives outside my interests and growth. They wanted good looking clean cut ruthless rolling cash register attendants that would be happy with easy work. That's fair I guess. Not a place for conscience. Market rate, in a good market, is what I'm after. Working hard to lose is no way to go. I let a job go last week because the customer wanted it broken down. A lawyer, a request for bid justification, all on a project I know I wouldn't be proud of, no thanks. It's taken years to learn to say no at the right times.
    GGross
  • hot_rod
    Teemok said:
    I won't go back to T and M except for very rare cases. Maio was valuable for the number crunching, though my employers had motives outside my interests and growth. They wanted good looking clean cut ruthless rolling cash register attendants that would be happy with easy work. That's fair I guess. Not a place for conscience. Market rate, in a good market, is what I'm after. Working hard to lose is no way to go. I let a job go last week because the customer wanted it broken down. A lawyer, a request for bid justification, all on a project I know I wouldn't be proud of, no thanks. It's taken years to learn to say no at the right times.
    Sometimes you have to fire a customer 
    Or say no when it puts you out of your comfort zone
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    TeemokratioMad Dog_2CLamb
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    Not all customers need to be our customers. Wish I could get the office to agree, especially with the ones that we already know aren't going to pay. Again.

<sigh>

TeemokMad Dog_2Ironman
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    2000 billable hours a year is not realistic.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Like it or not, Frank Blau and friends FORCED plumbing and heating contractors to examine their numbers...that helped everyone. Mad Dog 🐕 
    Teemok
  • Teemok
    2000 billable hours is what you tell techs you are riding and flogging. It comes along with "this company isn't turning a profit". I spent 2 years at an 8-10 truck company pulling in flat rate and fixed bids way over the stated calculated hourly and every meeting we were told the company was losing money. 24 months of straight loss is running a charity and it wasn't true. Top heavy overhead and with two to three $100K trucks a year built, it's a laughable dishonesty. There's a lot of head games in that 2000 hours talk. On the flip side the logic for profitability is in there.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
    Hi, Working on my own, my billable hours was more like 1300/year... and that's with long days, and a backlog of work. Still, it pays to know where you are, so I really should mention Ellen Rohr's books, available in the bookstore here.

Yours, Larry
    TeemokMad Dog_2GGross
  • hot_rod
    The 2000 hours comes from 50 weeks in a year 40 hour in a work week. It's just a number to calculate with.
    When i was young and starting out, mainly new construction it was more like 60 hours plus many weeks. My own work, sideline work installing gas piping for an HVAC shop on weekends. Trying to get ahead buy a home, etc.

The issue with 2000 hours, especially for repair only guys is, call backs, drive time, hours on bids that you don't get, chasing parts, etc. It is never solid working/ billing time.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Teemok
  • Mad Dog_2
    It would be hilarious to see a real, actual plumber on the side of the truck, not some ersatz, Hollywood Version with inappropriate tools.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    CLamb
  • hot_rod
    Like this?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Mad Dog_2CLambWMno57
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yeah...we got a guy on Long Island 🏝 that has a similar version.   I was thinking 🤔 more like the average 18-25 yr old Old NYC plumbing & heating helper:  Neck Tattoos, Mulitple face piercings, Prison Facial tattoos, pony tail.. No more Dudley Do-rights! The changing Face of America 🇺🇸.  I remember when the bosses and H.O s didn't care for an earring 
    on a guy, a ponytail...Those days are over..Its cool...I'm a big believer in Freedom of expression and I support eccentricity...keeps things interesting..Mad 🐕 Dog