Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roofing question about leak patching

Options
Hi all! Happy Monday.

I've owned my house for 10 years and used to think I had a roof leak at my chimney, years later I realized the leak is at the peak of my roof. Previous owner re-roofed the home (it has THREE roofs) Shingle, shaker, then that big panel galvanized stamped fake shingle stuff, looks nice but, yeah... not correct by any means.

My problem: A lot of the fasteners with the little build in rubber grommet have given away over the years, I don't foresee getting larger screws and making that work as the foundation under this roof is poor. The leak happens when it rains and goes through these little holes/ gaps and the leaks is getting between layers of old room, so it was hard to track this. A yearly grey tarp replacement is easy but not ideal.

Solution: Re-roof, not happening anytime soon. While not pretty, can I just bought a gallon of roof tar/goop and some type of mesh/fabric and run a length/layer of patch across my peak where these problem areas are (its only about a 5 foot area thats problematic)?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,387
    Options
    Yes. As a temporary patch -- even for several years -- that will work. Be generous going down both sides from the peak -- and be generous with the roofing tar.

Put on a layer of tar, work the fabric -- coarse fibreglas -- perhaps well into it, and another layer out beyond the edge of the fabric

And a word to the wise: roofing tar gets EVERYWHERE. Nitrile gloves. Long sleeve shirt you hate. Long pants you hate. Socks you hate. Shoes that are ready for the dump. Wear a cap. Safety glasses, of course.

I'd advocate for fall protection as well, but some folks think that that's for sissies...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesreggiIntplm.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    Options
    Three layers of roofing is the max and that may even crack the ridge or rafter because of the weight.
    Makes it easy on roofers to just add shingles than tear off the old roof and then re-shingle.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Well, yes, @HomerJSmith . But our OP is looking for a temporary patch which is at least a step up from atarp.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,052
    Options
    Use Karnak roof Flashing.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,277
    Options
    Sticky butyl is pricey but it does last for several years.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,740
    Options

Three layers of roofing is the max and that may even crack the ridge or rafter because of the weight.
    Makes it easy on roofers to just add shingles than tear off the old roof and then re-shingle.

Most states only allow 2 layers.

But that's for an entire roof, not a small patch.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DawsonArnold
    DawsonArnold Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi all! Happy Monday.

I've owned my house for 10 years and used to think I had a roof leak at my chimney, years later I realized the leak is at the peak of my roof. Previous owner re-roofed the home (it has THREE roofs) Shingle, shaker, then that big panel galvanized stamped fake shingle stuff, looks nice but, yeah... not correct by any means.

My problem: A lot of the fasteners with the little build in rubber grommet have given away over the years, I don't foresee getting larger screws and making that work as the foundation under this roof is poor. The leak happens when it rains and goes through these little holes/ gaps and the leaks is getting between layers of old room, so it was hard to track this. A yearly grey tarp replacement is easy but not ideal.

Solution: Re-roof, not happening anytime soon. While not pretty, can I just bought a gallon of roof tar/goop and some type of mesh/fabric and run a length/layer of patch across my peak where these problem areas are (its only about a 5 foot area thats problematic)?

It's a practical way to stop those pesky leaks until you can plan for a re-roofing down the road. Just make sure to apply it carefully, and it should help keep things dry.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,986
    Options
    @electronictofu
    There is a product called Henry Roof Patch that is offered for many different applications. Maybe look this stuff up. Some say it doesn't have to be called temporary once it is applied. But then again, aren't all roofs temporary?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Your concept will work... as a stopgap. It is better than a tarp, but not that much. The roof is the second most important part of a structure, after the frame, and the sooner you get yours torn all the way down to the rafters or purlins and reroofed the happier everything will be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Intplm.
  • DawsonArnold
    DawsonArnold Member Posts: 4
    Options
    it's a temporary fix, better than a tarp but not by much. You're right about the roof being super important. I'll plan on getting it fully redone down to the rafters soon. That should make a big difference.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,052
    Options
    Karnak and a Trowel!   Mad Dog 🐕