Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention...

Options

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,142
    Options
    I've been FORCED to do my own AC...So far, its much easier, Physically than Hot Water, Steam boilers and Plumbing.  Getting guidance from a Buddy who runs a 40 Bldg megalopolis.  High pressure Steam Licenses, HVAC wiz...Enjoying learning another branch of our business.  Mad Dog 
    PC7060
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 611
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Well it's far easier with ductless split units with pre flared line sets @ 15ft. Hence so many DIY kits sold online.

Will need a bunch more equipment and knowledge once you go beyond the factory supplied refrigerant limitations.

I just have a problem with Pioneer using the Taegeuk in their logo when it has no Korean affliation whatsoever.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,900
    Options
    Cut out and replace the factory flares on that line set!
    ratiomattmia2GGross
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,658
    Options
    The factory flares are only there to hold the nut on during shipping—& they fail at that from time to time. Since you're supposed to discard them & use the nuts from the unit anyway, I dunno why they even put them on.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Oh yeah?  Leakers?  Reflare em or braze em?  Mad Dog 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I'm being directed by a Very astute AC expert..not worried.  Thanks for the Advice.   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    No brazing on minis!
    Mad Dog_2GGross
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,764
    Options
    pecmsg said:

Mad Dog_2 said:

No brazing on minis!

why not? if you actually trickle N2 or CO2 as required and heat sink it before the unit i don't see a difference between the 2.
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    Options
    When you asked about this i was going to say you should make friends with a machine that can roll a pittsburgh but looks like you won't need that.
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    Options
    How did you keep the powder coat on the grill on that lennox from peeling and rusting?
    Mad Dog_2
  • pecmsg
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    No brazing on minis!
    why not? if you actually trickle N2 or CO2 as required and heat sink it before the unit i don't see a difference between the 2.
    Even with N2 there is the potential of copper oxide forming. Minis DO NOT have the safety of filter driers just several very fine screens. It doesn’t take much to plug one of these up but is a nightmare figuring out what one or two ARE plugged!
    mattmia2dkoSTEVEusaPAMad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I'd be super concerned about people reaming the copper if that were the case.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Matty...Just cover it in the Winter.. that unit is about 21 yrs old...Not ONE issue...Its Identical twin, ran for 7 yrs and then the nightmare began....Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,140
    Options

Necessity is the Mother of Invention...

Who's the Father?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Solid_Fuel_ManMad Dog_2
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,658
    Options
    Just cut the factory ends off & reflare them. (That's what the groove in the tubing cutter wheel is for! I didn't know!!) If you take a look at the factory end & a flare that you've made, you'll see what I'm talking about.

You can braze them in if you want, but that's a lot more work—unless you live in Chicago. I hear they're not allowed to use flares, or weren't. Do flow N₂, Never had a problem with clogging the screens with that.

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    "Frank Zappa and The Muthas...were at the best place around!" Yes, I've flared Copper tubing up to.1 1/2" .  Brazing is so easy, but Flare is fine    Mad Dog 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    When i've seen it done on over 1" it was done with some sort of a punch and a hammer.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,646
    Options
    @mattmia2

I have or had a flaring tool that did 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" and 1 1/8". Never saw one larger that that except the punch type but never used one of those
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yes..They are just big, Chunky Punches.  I inherited an old tool box of all sizes, taps, Swedes, et cetera. We've used them on Copper Water service lines. Like all flares...dont forget to put the nut on first!   Ha ha 😂 🤣 😆 😄.   Nah...I NEVER forget!!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    PC7060
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Matty..what"s a "Pittsburgh" ?  Is that The "Cajun lady 👩? Down around Pittsburgh...down Louisania Way ?? called the Mississippi Queen? " (Ref.Mountain) Never heard of this...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • mattmia2
    edited July 2023
    Options

I was thinking you needed the machine to do it on a curve, you can do it albeit rather tediously on a straight section with a brake. Now that i think about it more, i bet the curved pittsburgh is done on a flat piece that is rolled in to a curve after and the 90 that locks in to it is made around the curve with something like a hand seamer. i don't know if it is a regional thing, but this is how most ductwork is made around here.

There is a machine that can form that on the edge of a piece of sheetmetal with a series of rollers sort of like a continuous gutter machine.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Ahhh..Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Can reuse my Homemade Condensate trap...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Mini's don't generate enough static pressure to require the use of a trap. Better not to use one. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Most expensive condensate trap ever.
    Mad Dog_2mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yup!  I know...thanks Harvey..  That's for the 2nd floor Ducted unit that will be going in next.  Mini split is JUST for the 3rd Floor. I look at it this way:   21 years later, I'd probably be replacing it if it were PVC.. Mad Dog 🐕 
    Harvey Ramer
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Yup!  I know...thanks Harvey..  That's for the 2nd floor Ducted unit that will be going in next.  Mini split is JUST for the 3rd Floor. I look at it this way:   21 years later, I'd probably be replacing it if it were PVC.. Mad Dog 🐕 

but only because it is cheap and a pain to glue old pvc in to new, not because it was in poor condition.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,805
    Options
    Who is "Pioneer" ?
    I've never heard of that brand of mini split?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 611
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Who is "Pioneer" ?
    I've never heard of that brand of mini split?

Just another Midea resticker
    imported by Parker Davis HVAC International

same as Cooper and Hunter (Comfortside LLC)

and Bosch Climate 5000

and the list goes on
    ChrisJ
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,745
    Options
    A pad would be advisable, no? A level too, and bolts for those feet, right guys? Like how you advised that recent homeowner?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I just stuck it on the old pad until I get the main condenser and see if I'll need a Third concrete pad.  Mad Dog