Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watch your ears and prolonged noise...

Options

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,740
    edited June 2023
    Options
    For those who don't want to pay for the Ny Times..

This is very very old information and anyone that works around anything loud should be aware.
    This chart shows how long you should be exposed to these levels, I believe per day.

More information :
    https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2016/02/08/noise/

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I've got Jimi Hendrix, J. J. Cale, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull and others to thank for my hearing loss those nights at Winterland and Fillmore West. There were no warnings back then.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options
    Wow Alan...were u at Monterey Pop in 67? Altamont? Cal Jam 74?  All the greatest shows were in California. For Me it was Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Dio that blew my ear drums to H---. I used to make emergency ears plugs with damp toilet paper balled up...save me from permanent damage! Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 you forgot Abba.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm going to the audiologist tomorrow, talk newer hearing aids.

FWIW: if you are in a bind and need something NOW, the Britzgo BHA-220 ($120 at Amazon) will make speech louder. None of the four frequency corrections are right for me, but #3 gives a fair boost on the parts of female speech that old/abused ears miss.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Working nightly at Nassau Coliseum as a security guard for seven years as my side hustle wrecked my ears. We had cotton balls. Didn’t work out well. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesMad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Too late for me ear ringing all the time
    That's not how it works.

It continues to get worse and worse.
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 593
    edited June 2023
    Options

Too late for me ear ringing all the time

All the time ? My tinnitus comes and goes, or at least my awareness of it. I can see how people could go mad at some point.
    Eventually Im going to dive into hearing aids (diy likely). I think raising the db of sound around you would mask the tones.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Wow Alan...were u at Monterey Pop in 67? Altamont? Cal Jam 74?  All the greatest shows were in California. For Me it was Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Dio that blew my ear drums to H---. I used to make emergency ears plugs with damp toilet paper balled up...save me from permanent damage! Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 

I missed all those, but @Paul Pollets was probably there.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Dan...I'd love a book on all the great shows you worked, characters you met, guys you ejected...gory stuff too!  Ha ha....Chris...Abba was not my cup of tea, but they were a great outfit of the 1970s Radio.
    Believe it or not, Blackmore was VERY close to calling Abba and ask if he could join at Deep Purple Mark IIIs peak...He wanted to write Pop songs..thus began the Rainbow 🌈 years...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,645
    Options
    PRR said:

…#3 gives a fair boost on the parts of female speech that old/abused ears miss.

I'm kinda looking forward to this.

realliveplumber
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Dan...I'd love a book on all the great shows you worked, characters you met, guys you ejected...gory stuff too!  Ha ha....Chris...Abba was not my cup of tea, but they were a great outfit of the 1970s Radio.
    Believe it or not, Blackmore was VERY close to calling Abba and ask if he could join at Deep Purple Mark IIIs peak...He wanted to write Pop songs..thus began the Rainbow 🌈 years...Mad Dog 🐕 

Curious,
    Ever heard this one?

https://youtu.be/FeZlXJtLhMQ
    Mad Dog_2
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    My father worked in power plants for 32 years, and was an avid DIY, mainly woodworking. He's got hearing aids that are currently maxed out and his hearing is getting worse. I'm pretty sure if he lives long enough he will be deaf at some point. 78 years old now.

I'm not great about wearing my hearing protection, but I'm a lot better than him.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,708
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I wore hearing protection at every live music event, and any time I was in a loud environment and I still have constant ringing (I guess they call it "ringing" but it's a steady tone, about 6-7 kHz) in both ears (slightly worse in the right).

Sometimes I don't notice it, but it's always there. It really just started within the last two years, such a bummer.

They say there are lots of causes of it and so much is unknown. And there is a lot of quackery out there regarding it, beware.

Here is a gift version of the article for my friends here on HH...and the rest of you can read it too LOLOL :joy:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/09/health/noise-exposure-health-impacts.html?unlocked_article_code=Gp-aQvXrtecvUlf7jbXshkAlM5ctIzPSBfNncZX0-1zvP2MrOu5hjC5G9Ghg6cgTJNubOcesd-1IRuWa68yRbeI2DYEpH1SOwKSITpfH2FpkRynAdycK_MQvU07d-se_8lyL9fLDFD5SoHiObnvvaltDK4U2Fpmp4trH2h-Q37W7TMIqK1_WekYD7utmzeOmTDSenfRcLtGGWXnUKYeeMRMmZIoTunv7i4IgRkkRQu8gigBhfb8g3ZxdcatA2Yai1XY3ok7Hj5y0mAgjIymrkDBKa1dWNRo-Wflk58huvegByGc1Qm4mLN4I9ICDkXq-3uRb6cFCeI-VARv-xiXFXnOgzRBGcCmDmvlVPf5JSfy8MIeMrbQ&smid=url-share
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    SlamDunk
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I've got hearing aids from my Coliseum days, but I did get to shake hands with Elvis, so I suppose that makes it worth it.
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,976
    Options
    Time to start a Hearing Help website. 
    Mad Dog_2CLambErin Holohan HaskellGGross
  • ChrisJ
    edited June 2023
    Options
    ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Chris...very well..12 or 13   1980ish.. Hysterical..we used to imitate that dude.  Are they famous or one hit wonders?
    I was always protective of my eyes, ears and lungs (mostly) the rest of my body...teeth, nose, face, fingers were fair game.  Lots of stitches...more than 12 concussions.  My cousin put his eye out with a roofing nail, so that freaked me out.  My rabbis who brought me in to the " Onion 🌰 " both had asbestosis so I was big in to Respirators from day 1.  I was at Ronnie James Dio Nassau Coliseum late 80s (Dan were u there then?) New Years Eve...getting my eye drums shredded by Vivian Campbell...I felt the damage coming...so I went to the bathroom, balled up damp toilet paper and shoved em in....Grabbed two more beers 🍻 for the trip back. I know that preserved my hearing.  Later, I would bring the foam plugs.  Very stupidly, I took off my clam shells at the Rifle Range...not afraid of 30. Cal reports....but the guy next to move let rip a 50. CAL Barrett Sniper rifle.. .like a CANNON...couldn't hear for an hour...I was nervous....ha ha 😂.   All good   Mad Dog
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I dId attend Woodstock...it was held close to my home and wasn't that loud. The sound systems back in those days weren't as powerful. The indoor concerts were loud and I got to see Hendrix 6 times. Now I use silicone ear plugs and am aware if my ears are in danger. Fortunately, no hearing loss.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Holy Crap, Paul...you grew up in the Catskills?  Yeah...my bass teacher told me The Who were the first with all the Marshall Stacks....Led Zep and Deep Purple and the rest followed suit.  I go see these bands now, And I wish they would Crank it up a bit...too Low now...Its great..old Rockers with walkers and ♿ wheelchairs and young kids...You can't stop Rock and Roll....How was The Airplane and Mountain? Richie Havens?  Ten years after?  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Dan... someday if ya feel like it tell us about all the shows and games u saw.  Riots..mayhem.  Crowd Control... very interesting job.  Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Mad Dog2...I don't remember if the Who used Marshall stacks. Hendrix used 3. The bands were good, considering the poor weather and lack of surround sound. I must admit it was not easy to negotiate the crowds. I threw all the camping gear out after the event. This was in the days before waterproof nylon tents. I took my daughter to visit the museum on the site a few years ago , which is worth a visit. She was quite amazed.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Matt, I wouldn’t know where to begin. 😂
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited June 2023
    Options

Matt, I wouldn’t know where to begin. 😂

We've got lots of time and I don't think anyone will hit the "Off Topic" button.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    It was a Mud Bowl, right?  My Bass teacher, Chuck Alder , played for The Illusion ("Did u see her eyes" 1968 Billboard Hit) and they were opening for The Who on the Pictures of Lily Tour.  The first night of the tour, everyone was blown away with how loud they were..The Illusionwas invited to play Woodstock but thought it was a Waste of time since they were each making $1000 bucks nite in the Top NYC clubs....Chuck :  "...yeah man....Beginning of the End Man!"  Then the record Company screwed em...typical music industry stories.. ."NYS Thruway is closed MAN!...Dont eat the brown acid..."  did u stay all 3 days?  Did you live nearby?  Did u get to watch Soul Sacrifice?   The Greatest Santana song?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Dan...you could write a tell all book  about the Glory Days of  the Great Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum...I bet it would be a huge seller...especially on Long Island.  Rolling Stone would review it.... 🏝  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Mad Dog_2 said:

Curious,
    Ever heard this one?

https://youtu.be/FeZlXJtLhMQ
    Thanks Chris that's not the Space Ace I remember. What a blast from the past.
    ChrisJ
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 593
    Options

... and I still have constant ringing (I guess they call it "ringing" but it's a steady tone, about 6-7 kHz) in both ears (slightly worse in the right).

Sometimes I don't notice it, but it's always there. It really just started within the last two years, such a bummer.

Interesting read. We're quite rural so no typical "city noise" but a train does pass 1/4 mile away back thru the forest, with two road crossings each about a mile away. I wouldn't think it has a physiological effect on me, but who knows. We do love the general lack of "din" in the rural though.

For your tinnitus, have you ever had a hearing loss graph made ? If you get one done, find a place that you can keep your hearing graph (audiogram). Just say you have to approach your employer with it to see if they'll cover etc etc. That way you can keep a record going fwd. Most places treat the audiogram as private property, as they want you to buy their aids of course.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    My Uncle Leo had a Very Good NYC, 5 boros Rock band in the 1960s, be played a Beatles Bass and sang backing vocals.   Blew his eardrums out..had chronic tinnitus the rest of his life..He was a Life Long Hippie professional musician who spent most his life meditating, doing Yoga, Jamming, Primal Screaming...i.e., never had a real job.  When you stay really busy, working 💪 or what have you...productive living, the tinnitus just becomes a background noise and you can live with it.  Otherwise, for him, and some others I have known, they make it their main focus in life...it debilitates them.  I don't believe there is any cure or operation, so you have to live it....Mad Dog 🐕