Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaner for old copper pipe

Options
MikeAmann
MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
Mom's house - I will be replacing some old 1/2" Solder Ends Stop & Waste Valves with ball valves. Naturally, the copper pipe is brown and dirty. Is there a product, say a spray-on or brush-on that I can use to help to get the copper clean? I would like to be able to wipe off most of the dirt and oxidation before the wire brush/sandpaper is used. I hate to have that dirt transferred to the wire brush, and then all you are doing is carrying that dirt along to the next joint.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    Sand cloth
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Brasso works also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Or Noxon
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,975
    Options
    If you're resoldering, I would not use any chemicals.  Open Mesh plumbers grit cloth is the best (not the sandpaper like Emery cloth).  It will even take off paint.  Clean it up to a high shine, clean Flux and away you go.  If you're going for a decorative finish, ( you could use Brasso or whatever....but not to resolder copper tubing.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    PC7060Derheatmeister
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Agree with Mad dog open mesh sand cloth
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Yes, for resoldering. Open mesh sand cloth - good idea. That shouldn't hold the dirt.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,861
    Options

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Tarn-X. Rinse after you clean the pipe.
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    We were in Detroit years ago and visited 1 of Henry Fords buildingd that had a room with all polished copper and brass valves. It was a plumbing work of art. As I remember it was a manifold system but much nicer then the PEX stuff you see today Lol

Has anyone seen it and remember the name of the building, sure would like to see pictures of it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,975
    Options
    Wow! Kevin, I would love to see it.  Dan probably has...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Now that I think about it it may have been all threaded brass, it was a work of art.
    I am sure I took pictures but have no idea where they went.
    Mad Dog_2