Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner Flame Mystery

Options
ccstelmo
ccstelmo Member Posts: 31
Try this.
On any fossil fuel flame, whether on a water heater, or a boiler or a furnace, remove the sheet metal so the flame is open to the room, lean close to the opening, and clap your hands in front of the flame.

You will see the flame turn orange for a moment then re-establish itself blue.

What's with that?

ccstelmo

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    sodium
    ethicalpaul
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    Dust
    SuperTechethicalpaulrealliveplumber
  • MikeGordon
    MikeGordon Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Momentary disruption of the primary air mixing with the fuel, prior to combustion.

The clap creates a short, relatively high pressure air zone where the primary air is drawn into the burner, near the gas orifice. This creates a disruption of the air, and a richer fuel/air mixture, for a brief period. When the richer mixture reaches the flame front at the burner face, it burns orange for a brief period.

Mike Gordon
    ethicalpaul
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hmmm, This is an interesting question. I was imagining that a clap would produce a small shock wave, knocking dust or whatever loose, so it was put into the air supply to the burner. Then you see it as a change in flame color... So a test comes to mind. If the amount of change in the flame decreases with repeated clapping, my dust theory could apply. If it remains constant, it must have to do with the fuel.

The real question is what the homeowner will think about you applauding their fuel burning appliance :o

Yours, Larry
    EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2GGross
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Dust
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It's Magic.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    I am not suggesting you are not increasing air for combustion (temporarily) when you clap your hands.

I can tell you for a certainty that if you sweep the floor with a dust broom near an atmospheric burner you will notice an orange flames. I've also noticed that something similar happens with power burners as well when you kick up dust near the combustion air inlet.
    ttekushan_3
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    Yeah. Dust. Sodium is a component of almost all dust -- and it takes very very little to produce that intense orange flame. Changes in combustion air may make the flame yellow, but that is a very different colour (and it is well to learn the difference...).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • dullknife1
    dullknife1 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Best laugh I had in a while Ed 
  • ccstelmo
    ccstelmo Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I too am inclined to agree with Ed.
    But for the sake of eliminating the dust theory, I'll vacuum around my boiler and into and around the (atmospheric) air door. Then I'll wash the floor and applaud the flame again.
    This won't happen soon because I'm gone again stamping out brush fires that keep cropping up in my life but I'll get back to you.
    ccstelmo
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    edited May 2023
    Options
    You know when there's a window with a light beam shining through and you can actually see every speck of dust flying around? That's all around the boiler as well. Unless you set up your boiler room like a car paint spray booth and walk in naked it's probably not worth the experiment.
    mattmia2
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Just how dusty and salty are all y'alls hands anyway?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Larry Weingarten
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    It takes astonishingly little sodium to get the orange. Milligrams or less in a typical flame.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    I still say "It's Magic".
    No matter how much salt I rub on my hands before illustrating this magnificent feat of prestidigitation.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    It is MAGIC created by the DUST fairy. That same fairy leaves his calling card all over the place on tables and furniture just to keep us busy DUSTING!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The burner is designed to fire contained , to intense the burning ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mattmia2
    Options
    How much stuff is knocked loose from your hands when you clap them? There is plenty of sodium in your dead skin and the bacteria and all the other stuff that is on you skin.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    It happens on a gas cooktop when you jostle a pan over the grates too.