Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ok to route radiant PEX under joist instead of through?

Options
I'm wondering if you could offer some advice?

I'm installing PEX in joist bays above a crawlspace.

I'm struggling to feed the PEX back and forth between joist bays because it's binding in the 2" holes I drilled, so I wonder if I can instead just cross under the joists to get between the bays, and maybe put a bit of pipe insulation over the small section of PEX that would pop out below the joist.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Shouldn't be an issue
    watercoursemattmia2
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'll be curious to see what the pros say, but I can't see why not...but how is 1/2" (presumably) Pex binding in a 2" hole?

Also, is the crawlspace conditioned? Or open to the freezing outdoors?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    watercourse
  • watercourse
    watercourse Member Posts: 28
    Options

I'll be curious to see what the pros say, but I can't see why not...but how is 1/2" (presumably) Pex binding in a 2" hole?

Also, is the crawlspace conditioned? Or open to the freezing outdoors?

It really starts binding after it's gone through 2+ bays. I guess the little bit of drag from each hole adds up. And I tried pulling the whole pipe length through each bay, but it gets really twisty. So going under the joist seems a lot easier. I guess just held in place with a pex talon or something and covered in some foam rubber pipe insulation?

The crawlspace isn't conditioned. I'll be insulating the bays.
  • ethicalpaul
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ahh well you can't just pull it through multiple bays, you have to push it through one bay at a time, with the correct single "twist" in it so that it ends up in the right pattern.

It will be a lot easier to insulate it well if it's all in the bays and not coming underneath each one.
    watercourse
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    See my pics here. I'm a DIYer too. In a crawlspace is not nearly as fun I'm sure:

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/183827/recommended-floor-condition-for-radiant-over-heart-pine-plank
    watercourse
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    I hope those holes were less than a third of the depth of the joist, and located on the midline of the joist... otherwise you have created a serious structural issue there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    for insulating purposes, it will be a lot easier if your pipe isnt running below the joist to get to the next bay.
  • watercourse
    Options
    yellowdog said:

for insulating purposes, it will be a lot easier if your pipe isnt running below the joist to get to the next bay.

Yeah that appears to be the tradeoff for me right now. Easier to install the pex vs easier to insulate the pex.
  • watercourse
    Options

I hope those holes were less than a third of the depth of the joist, and located on the midline of the joist... otherwise you have created a serious structural issue there.

Yes
    Mad Dog_2
  • watercourse
    Options

Ahh well you can't just pull it through multiple bays, you have to push it through one bay at a time, with the correct single "twist" in it so that it ends up in the right pattern.

It will be a lot easier to insulate it well if it's all in the bays and not coming underneath each one.

How do you do the correct single twist?

I was wondering if it was possible to keep the pipe somehow organized or coiled back up at the end of each bay as you pull through.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    You might want to get some unsplit insulation and slip pieces of it over the tube as you are installing it.
    watercourse
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,977
    Options
    You really need two people on those radiant staple up crawl space jobs. One to feed the pex and keep turning to stop kinks and one to fasten to the plates.  Technically you're cheating by crossing under the joists but you gotta do what you gotta do.  It's not the end of the world. Mad Dog 🐕 
    watercourse
  • watercourse
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

You really need two people on those radiant staple up crawl space jobs. One to feed the pex and keep turning to stop kinks and one to fasten to the plates.  Technically you're cheating by crossing under the joists but you gotta do what you gotta do.  It's not the end of the world. Mad Dog 🐕 

Thanks. If I'm technically cheating does that mean it wouldn't pass inspection?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @watercourse LOL most inspectors won't go in a crawl space or on a roof .......at least around here.
    watercourse