Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paint Radiators - Yes or No?

Is it okay to paint radiators and, if so, any special paint?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,966
    Why not? Get them nice and clean -- I use a scraper and a wire brush, but some folks get fancier -- and go ahead. I use a high quality interior acrylic, like Benjamin Moore Aura.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 264
    Scraper and wire brush isn't a good idea if the radiator has lead paint (highly likely).

Any high quality low VOC interior latex paint will work. You will want to paint the radiators while they are cold and let the paint completely cure before introducing heat.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,627
    Latex....not oil based like rustoleum. It will take years to get rid of the smell.
    ethicalpaul
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 353
    SlamDunk said:

Latex....not oil based like rustoleum. It will take years to get rid of the smell.

I'm going to disagree with the oil based paint smell lasting a year. We painted the kitchen radiators over the summer with Rustoleum enamel. There was a little gassing off smell for a couple days at the start of heating season. No odor at all after that. These are hot water rads that see supply temps 88 to 142 degrees.

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2023
    Years. But our steam heating season is very short. 4 weeks max. This year so far, four days. That was our experience
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    There is nothing like a sandblasting and powder coat from an Auto shop with the right (Non-Stinky)paint. Mad Dog