Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler water draining

Options
How often and how much water should you drain from a gas steam boiler during winter months? 
Is it better to drain water during a running cycle to better remove any sediment rather then when the boiler is cooler? 
Corktown

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited January 2023
    Options
    What type of Low Water Cut Off do you have?

if you have an electronic LWCO then draining periodically is not necessary

If you have a float type LWCO then you need to flush the LWCO at least once a week.

If you post a picture of the boiler with all the near boiler piping from at least 3 different sides, we can better understand your system and will be better able to assist you.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    And even a float type low water cutoff rarely more than a gallon a week or so, and just to blow down the LWCO -- not to drain the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RuffinoVino
    RuffinoVino Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Here is a picture of the boiler with the low water cut off. Water is always dirty in the glass and the glass was changed at beginning of season about 2 months or so ago. Also, should I add insulation to the main header pipe coming out of the boiler that's only about 14" or so? Will that add any efficiency? 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2023
    Options
    That does not need draining. You have an electronic LWCO. Annual flush will be just fine. Clean out the pigtail every other year (Pig tail is the loop that the gauge and pressure control are connected to). You want to build up some steam pressure to flush out the bottom pf the boiler. Since you do not have a king valve, you may only get 2 to 3 PSI after all the vents close so that will have to be enough pressure.

The wet returns may also need a flush every other year or longer. How old are the radiators?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I don’t see a Union on that gas line. If it’s inside the cabinet that’s a no no here. 
  • RuffinoVino
    RuffinoVino Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Radiators are all original 1935 except 1 that was replaced with a larger new one because 2 rooms were combined years ago and 1 radiator eliminated. Heating have no issues ever balanced and within literally 10-15 mins all radiators are at least 3/4" hot on each run. Regarding the union comment on the gas line can you explain in more detail? I'm not sure I understand.

Also, should I bother throwing some more insulation in the main pipe doesn't have any?Thanks
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    Never hurts to insulate with 1" pipe insulation. In this case I doubt the 14" will make any difference.

Some jurisdictions forbid a gas union inside an enclosed appliance cabinet. Some jurisdictions don't permit a gas drip leg. Different rules in different places.
  • pecmsg
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Insulation doesn’t hurt. 
    Will you see a return on investment, doubtful for that small area. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    That seems like a lot of "mud" production. If it were me, I'd drain it, refill it, and put in a small amount of 8-way until the ph was 10 or so, then see what happens. That might have to be repeated a few times with a few weeks in between because the 8-way will tend to free up sediment.

Is your water acidic or salty? You're not using softened water, right?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Never seen a code rule about a union inside the cabinet. Very common around here.
  • Corktown
    Corktown Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2023
    Options
    “Rufino“,

When you asked about draining the boiler, I thought you were talking about the practice of many homeowners to, once every week or two, open the boiler drain for a few seconds until the water runs clear of sentiment. I would guess the thought would be this would help avoid the buildup of “dirty water“.

This is something that I wondered about, too.

What’s the collective wisdom from the ‘krewe’ in this regard? …,
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited February 2023
    Options
    pecmsg said:

I don’t see a Union on that gas line. If it’s inside the cabinet that’s a no no here
    You must live in a crazy area. ...or maybe the plumbing inspector just likes to bust your chops! I know I enjoy busting YOUR chops!

Edward Young Retired

pecmsg
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    @Corktown as mentioned above, it depends on which type of LWCO you have. If it's a "probe" LWCO, weekly releases of water are not recommended. If it's a "float" LWCO then regular blowdown is required.
    Corktown
  • pecmsg
    Options

pecmsg said:

I don’t see a Union on that gas line. If it’s inside the cabinet that’s a no no here
    You must live in a crazy area. ...or maybe the plumbing inspector just likes to bust your chops! I know I enjoy busting YOUR chops!
    No Unions inside the cabinet. Couplings and ells are allowed!
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 251
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Corktown said:

If your water is relatively clean, draining & refilling water each week will make corrosion worse because of introducing new oxygen and minerals into the system. Once you get the sludge out, it's best to get the PH of the water balanced with additives to not induce further corrosion and limit the addition of new water to make up for evaporation losses through air vents.

Corktown
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    pecmsg said:

pecmsg said:

No Unions inside the cabinet. Couplings and ells are allowed!
    Which is exactly why New York City used to require left-right couplings inside gas stoves.

• ethicalpaul
    Options
    Corktown said:
    “Rufino“,

When you asked about draining the boiler, I thought you were talking about the practice of many homeowners to, once every week or two, open the boiler drain for a few seconds until the water runs clear of sentiment. I would guess the thought would be this would help avoid the buildup of “dirty water“.

This is something that I wondered about, too.

This would be a once a year practice in my opinion.
  • Corktown
    Corktown Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you, 'jhewings', 'Waher' and 'ethicalpaul' for your answers.

To clarify, my guess is that the 'draining' referenced amounts to less than 3 ounces of water being drained each time this is done. No effort is made to replace that water. But over the course of a season that would add up and cause fresh water to be added unnecessarily, it would seem.

So if I'm picking up what you're laying down, if there's a concern about 'dirty water', the homeowner should flush the boiler fully to address it, as opposed to addressing it piecemeal by occasionally draining it off the bottom of the boiler, as described in my first post.
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    I'm ok with occasionally draining the mud to prevent it from building up, I just think "occasionally" means once every year or three.

If the water is getting totally muddy like in the gauge glass, then I'd address that with a complete drain and fill and the moderate application of a ph-raising agent such as 8-way
    Corktown