Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak at where threads go into fitting how to stop without taking fitting apart

I am unable to take pipes apart so I am unable to stop the leak by rethreading . Is there another way to stop the leak?

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited December 2022
    What is the pipe carrying, how big is it and what is the pressure inside? You may have options. Why can't the joint be disassembled?
  • morevintage
    morevintage Member Posts: 10
    It is a steam radiator one pipe system. The joint can't be disassembled because of rust and space
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,957
    And exactly where is it leaking? It may not be a threaded fitting -- it may be the union. Fixing the two is completely different.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    Normally the leaking portion is cut out, the remaining ends are threaded and the leaking joint replaced with a union.

Is it a return pipe with just condensate in it or a steam-carrying pipe? A return pipe can often be sealed with a plaster or Fiberglas cast, similar to a cast for a broken bone. This isn't always successful and would be less likely to succeed on a steam carrying pipe.

I've seen steam fitting connections ground clean of rust with a rotary wire brush, dried with alcohol and temporarily sealed with a bead of high temperature plumbers' silicone.

The potential for success is questionable, but you may want to try one of these methods. If access is limited, as it would be under a radiator, the chance of applying a patch successfully is slim.
  • morevintage
    morevintage Member Posts: 10
    Leak is at thread going into the fitting . It carries both steam and return water.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,740
    https://cleanfit.com/blue-monster-compression-seal-tape.shtml

This'll get you until summer if you can get it stretched around the leak a few time. It'll last a season or two, as well.

I've repaired pinholes in pipes with 50% silver solder, as well. That's a more permanent solution, might not be appropriate for a joint.

hot_rodCLamb
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,456
    Hi, One trick I've used for similar leaks, (as a temporary patch) is to clean the area well, smear it with silicon seal, take mop string and fill it with silicon. Do this by putting a gob of silicon in one gloved hand and pulling the mop string through your fingers to fully impregnate the string with silicon. Now wrap the gooey string around the leaky joint. You can cover this with electrical tape for fun. Wait for it to set and you're good. It works for relatively low pressure leaks, which is what you have.

Yours, Larry
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,429
    Pics would help.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    CLambPC7060
  • My son had a propane gas leak under his house. Twenty-four inch crawlspace and the pipes were fitting-to-fitting. He cleaned the pipes and applied a thick bead of epoxy around the pipe and fitting, feathering the edges with a wet finger. It's still holding.

The work was done with the gas off, of course.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,351
    Great trick Larry.  Hey you guys ever see the hemp they use in Germany on thread connections?   I have a picture somewhere.. all the joints have big hairy dreadlocks hanging off the...it looks crazy. Mad 🐕 Dog
    Larry Weingarten