Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mitsubishi Branch boxes

Options
I have a Mitsubishi system with seven cassettes that requires two Branch boxes. What I have not been able to find is do those branch boxes need to be located next to each other or can they be some distance apart?

Thx
Gary

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    I believe they can be anywhere, as long as the piping doesn't exceed the maximum lengths. Mitsubishi has their sizing software, Diamond System Builder, freely available at mylinkdrive.com. You'll want this to properly charge the system, it does the calculations for you; & will let you know if you're lengths are excessive as well.
    IronmanGGross
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    we have two within 8 feet or so, can't you space it a little bit? Or maybe loop some tubing a bit?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • gary7770
    gary7770 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'm actually wondering if the two Branch boxes can be 40 to 50 ft apart to cut down on the lengths of the line sets to the cassettes.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    There may be a limitation on the elevation difference between 2 branch boxes connected to the same ODU. I don't have the Mitsubishi specs but the brand I sell has limits on total piping, max/min individual pipe length, max elevation difference ODU->IDU, max elevation difference BDU->BDU, and max elevation difference IDU->IDU I imagine Mitsubishi has similar specified limitations
    gary7770
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Why math it by hand, or even guess?

https://mylinkdrive.com/USA/Software/Diamond_System_Builder?product&categoryName=Software

BTW, clever placement of the branch boxes is part of a solid design!

GGrossgary7770TmKady
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    i just did a quick diamond system builder with the split to each branch box 50' from the condenser and each branch box 50' from there with 25 ' lengths to each head and it showed no errors. it looks like you can have 492' of total piping length on the system. what are the actual dimensions you need to have?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,859
    Options
    gary7770 said:

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm actually wondering if the two Branch boxes can be 40 to 50 ft apart to cut down on the lengths of the line sets to the cassettes.

This should be discussed with the installing contractor.

Mitsubishis are great systems but the design and install phase is critical! So many feet total, so many ft above or below.
    GGross
  • gary7770
    gary7770 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks to everyone that commented on this. I ended up installing the system builder software and mapped out the system as it was installed (by another company) and was able to get all the data that I needed including the total refridgerant charge required. Good stuff

Thanks,
    Gary

GGrossratio