Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Joist Track PEX Hole Size & Position

Marvin007
Marvin007 Member Posts: 52
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
Will I get snapping sounds when the PEX expands if the PEX is touching the back of the hole when it goes through the joist to the next chamber?

Comments

• jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    I used this product to keep the pex away from the wood. It can be wrapped around the pex.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Uponor-Wirsbo-A7250500-1-2-PEX-Suspension-Tube-Clamp-Bag-of-100
    Marvin007
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited December 2022
    On the initial startup its possible but the water flow should be constant so no more movement.
    Marvin007
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    No, I don’t think so. mine is exactly the same as your picture.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Marvin007
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    some foam pipe insulation is an inexpensive way to make an isolator. No harm in doing it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Marvin007
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    The only time I ever hear any expansion noise is on initial start .... very minor if at all
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    I would use the clamps the jhewings suggested above. The one photo that shows the pipe in the middle of the hole looks great right now and looks like it would never make noise. However once that pipe starts to heat up, it will grow linearly. The formula is for every 10 degree rise it temp, it will grow 1.1" per one hundred feet of pipe.

The other thing I would do is to make sure the water temperature delivery system is weather compensation based. Modulate the water temp as it warms up/cools down outside makes that expansion of the pipe minimal.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Marvin007Rich_49
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Marvin007
  • Marvin007
    edited December 2022
    hot_rod said:
    some foam pipe insulation is an inexpensive way to make an isolator. No harm in doing it.
    Do you mean foam pipe insulation like this where the pipe touches the crossing pipe. I only have a short piece of foam at the moment but I could use longer pieces.

• hot_rod
    Sure, anywhere tube can run is a good use of pipe insulation
    Typically 1-3/8” holes are drilled. That allows plastic isolators or thin walled pipe insulation to be used

Interesting use of a Studor air admittance device 🤭
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Marvin007
    hot_rod said:
    Sure, anywhere tube can run is a good use of pipe insulation Typically 1-3/8” holes are drilled. That allows plastic isolators or thin walled pipe insulation to be used Interesting use of a Studor air admittance device
     🤭
    I drilled 1-1/4” holes. Hopefully this is ok.

The Studor air admittance device is being used as an added percaution/assistance to the vent that leads to the roof. The drain vent stretch is very long but is slopped correctly.

• hot_rod
    1-3/8" is typically the plumbers go to size drill, for some reason. Many of the insulators require that size, especially the drive in type.
    When we worked with TJI type joists, an 1-1/2" hole could be drilled anywhere in the web.
    So the 1-3/8" was a safe drill to use in those.

As long as the tube is free to move, not tight against the tube so the tube could expand, you should be fine.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Marvin007