Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Acceptable gas leak rate for Repco boiler ?

Schoenhm
Schoenhm Member Posts: 1
Apparently there is an acceptable gas leak rate for older well maintained equipment.
ANCI references it apparently,  as this antique Repco will not meet 2022 specs for zero leaks 
What is the rate ?  I don’t have the sniffer readings from the gas company, and they didn’t put it on the red tag.   Does anyone know the acceptable leakage rate ? Or how to find it on the National Code ?

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
    Is this a 24/7 continuous leak, or a small amount of uncombusted methane for a split second at the start of a burn cycle?
    If leak is continuous, then there is no acceptable amount.
    Sniffer readings are just a diagnostic tool, not a number that determines safe or BOOM! Only a professional who is familiar with the gas safety features of the gas valve and burner can determine that. Older gas burners and valves lack modern safety features.
    If you post a picture, experts here may be able to tell you more.
    I DIY.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited November 2022
    I wonder if there is an acceptable rate of flood water before drowning, or an acceptable rate of fire before burning at the stake, or an acceptable rate of traction on the rack before pulling your limbs from their socket? And what code book can these numbers be found?

And just how would I even know how to measure these numbers?

Apparently, the equipment has been Red Tagged and was hoping to keep the middle ages torcher chamber apparatus, or should I just replace it with something that has readily available parts from a manufacturer that is still in business today.

Asking for a friend!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    pecmsgmattmia2
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    If you go to the official Honeywell manuals for their (admittedly older) valves, not only do they tell you the acceptable amount, they show you how to test it.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I just saw Repco and had to change my underwear. Thanks a lot.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    As a safety concern there is no acceptable allowance.
    EdTheHeaterMan