Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler

13»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    pedmec said:

@ChrisJ Nobody is saying not to a combustion analysis. What i'm saying is you either rip out your $20,000 or more boiler installation and all the pain in **** **** that goes along with it. or you have someone take two hours, maybe three and remove one of the end tubes and see how the boiler works. And you can't get impingement your not changing the gas pressure in the manifold.

As far as why the make different size boilers. i would assume smaller boilers are lighter. i would rather handle the smallest boiler possible. and they can get more on a truck for switching. Just a couple of examples.

I know why different size boilers are made. I didn't ask that.

They make an EG30 and 35 which are the same block. EG40 and 45 which are the same block and so on.

They do not simply remove a burner tube to make the 30 out of a 35, they make a different manifold with different spacing and a completely different drafthood. The drafthood appears to be intended to cut down on draft through the boiler.

I don't have the answers as to why, but I was told in theory removing a burner tube could cause impingement. That's what I was told, also no idea if it's true.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    If you are going to attempt to downfire a boiler it needs to be done by someone that understands combustion well and can look at the whole system, not just the boiler itself. IT may work in some situations and may not in others.

If it is a new installation it is reasonable to expect that the installing contractor installs the correct boiler, not that they attempt to make the wrong product work.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    @mattmia2 agreed. Just stating an option from my 30 years of doing steam. That's all. Not that i have done but i have seen it done successfully without issues. This is not the first oversized boiler to be installed.
  • SMITTY64
    SMITTY64 Member Posts: 65
    Section Thickness

1. 7 x 2 & 3/4"
    2. 7 X 2 & 3/4"
    3. 7 x 2 & 1/2"
    4. 8 x 2 & 1/2"
    5. 6 x 2 & 1/2"
    6. 10 x 2 & 1/2"
    7. 12 x 2" Center to center of golden tuibes
    8. 16 x 2" Center to center of golden tubes
    9. 8 x 2 & 1/2"
    10. 10 x 2 &1/2"
    11. 21 x 2 & 1/2""
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    What was the oil usage with the older Weil and any oil usage on this newer one yet,?
    Would of liked to see the old one hooked up... and original piping..no photos 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    edited October 2022
    That's what I thought. Take a look at my earlier comment where I gave you my estimate. The links to the catalogs should help verify. I am not familiar with Holland. Could you post a picture of those rads and where it says the manufacturer's name?
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    reggi said:

What was the oil usage with the older Weil and any oil usage on this newer one yet,?

GAS not oil. Installed this summer.

I DIY.
    ChrisJ
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    WMno57 said:
    GAS not oil. Installed this summer.
    DOH ! .... Should of stuck with FUEL...
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    ethicalpaul