Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermittent AC locked rotor condition-- resolved

DJohanson
DJohanson Member Posts: 4
We're experiencing an intermittent failure on new (1 year old) GSXC 4Ton 2 stage Goodman condenser. The system has been running perfectly since installed but in the past couple weeks it has stopped 3 times on "locked rotor" code. The capacitor was suspect and replaced but it tested OK. A technician (not the original installer) tested all pressures, charge, SC, SH etc. and found everything in spec. When the 24V control voltage is reset, the unit comes back on line. Technician told us that next time he will call Goodman tech support. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Have you had any power "blinks"?

Do you have a time delay for restart?
    This is often a feature in t-stats.

It provides up to a 5 minute delay to restart AC.
    Gives time for pressures to equalize.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    That unit should have a 5 minute delay built into the PCB.  

@DJohanson I assume the unit was tested in low stage?

Is it wired as a legacy setup or as communicating?  
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If the voltage is up to spec (not low) and the wire is the correct size and the connections clean and tight then you may need a hard start kit (relay and start capacitor
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Do you have a meter to capture (min/max) starting amps to verify the code?
  • DJohanson
    Thanks for your fast response to our AC issue. To your questions, we have experienced some power blinks (Duke Energy) but the lockout issues haven't occurred at those times. (We had installed a whole-house surge protector, BTW.) The Honeywell thermostat does have a 5 minute start delay and is wired "legacy". The tech tested operation during low stage including line voltage and the L1-L2 terminal connections (original installer didn't connect the high stage and we've found that we don't need it.) I'll speak with the tech regarding measuring start current and a hard start kit. Again, I appreciate your suggestions and questions!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    IDK about your AC in particular, but some multi stage equipment is designed to start in high stage and then step down to lower stages.

Maybe the high stage start is needed.
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

IDK about your AC in particular, but some multi stage equipment is designed to start in high stage and then step down to lower stages.

Maybe the high stage start is needed.

The OP's equipment always starts in low stage by design.
    It's a Copeland Ultratech.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    HVACNUT said:

You will need more than the average DMM/clamp meter to measure this, a DMM only samples a few times a second so it doesn't do a great job of capturing peak transients.
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

HVACNUT said:

You will need more than the average DMM/clamp meter to measure this, a DMM only samples a few times a second so it doesn't do a great job of capturing peak transients.
    You feel the HVAC equipment is alarming out on a spike that's shorter than a typical DMM can detect?
  • mattmia2
    It certainly could be. An analog circuit driving an io pin set to interrupt could detect a very short transient.

I guess we need to know what exactly triggers that code.
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

It certainly could be. An analog circuit driving an io pin set to interrupt could detect a very short transient.

That's the best I've got from them.
    They don't tell you anything useful.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    A list of operating information would help. Superheat, discharge temperature, sub cooling. Minimum on, minimum off. 
  • HVACNUT
    mattmia2 said:
    My pos Fluke 17B which is not true RMS can capture min/max amps. I use it on every maintenance and it hasn't failed me yet. 
    If I really need it, I break out the 179.
  • ChrisJ
    edited July 2022
    HVACNUT said:

mattmia2 said:

HVACNUT said:

My pos Fluke 17B which is not true RMS can capture min/max amps. I use it on every maintenance and it hasn't failed me yet. 
    I've had a 179 since 2002, but I don't have an amp clamp for it.
  • ChrisJ
    pecmsg said:

A list of operating information would help. Superheat, discharge temperature, sub cooling. Minimum on, minimum off. 

The manufacturer most likely wants around 6-8 degrees of subcooling and 7-9 for superheat in low stage, going from memory.

What the OP actually has, along with the type of metering device and lineset length and evaporator location, would be nice to know.
  • mattmia2
    ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

If it is somehow detecting the compressor failed to start within a minute then that is a long enough period for min/max on a dmm to capture.

The next step would be to look at the schematic and maybe the control itself and see what it has connections to that it uses to decide the compressor didn't start. Does it have a way to measure line voltage? Does it have a way to measure current? Is it only connected to pressure switches and some thermistors and is inferring that the compressor didn't start by what it is reading from those senseors?
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

If it is somehow detecting the compressor failed to start within a minute then that is a long enough period for min/max on a dmm to capture.

The next step would be to look at the schematic and maybe the control itself and see what it has connections to that it uses to decide the compressor didn't start. Does it have a way to measure line voltage? Does it have a way to measure current? Is it only connected to pressure switches and some thermistors and is inferring that the compressor didn't start by what it is reading from those senseors?
    I've never been able to find one.
    The PCB used is made by Emerson / Copeland, not by Goodman / Amana and the diagram shown can't be trusted. At least it couldn't back in 2017 when I metered out the board to wire in a condenser fan control on mine. And even that was only a crude diagram showing where the fan, compressor etc wire into the board.

• HVACNUT
    ChrisJ said:
    mattmia2 said:
    I've had a 179 since 2002, but I don't have an amp clamp for it.
    I have an Amprobe A400 attachment that's great for me but the wires are shredded so I need to open it and try to rebuild. In the meantime I'm using a Fluke i410 but the clamp is too large for what I need.
  • DJohanson
    ChrisJ..... lineset is 20' long, evap coil is ~3' higher than condenser. Txv metering. Downflow furnace installed with ample supply and return ducting. At 93F outside temp on low stage, 325psi and 142psi, SH at 8 and SC at 2. Typical run times that day were at least 1 hour. I did notice a current loop on the control board which likely measures the compressor current, if that helps any.
  • ChrisJ
    DJohanson said:

ChrisJ..... lineset is 20' long, evap coil is ~3' higher than condenser. Txv metering. Downflow furnace installed with ample supply and return ducting. At 93F outside temp on low stage, 325psi and 142psi, SH at 8 and SC at 2. Typical run times that day were at least 1 hour. I did notice a current loop on the control board which likely measures the compressor current, if that helps any.

Separate subject but SC should be 6-8 from what I recall, so the system is a tad undercharged.
  • heatandair
    heatandair Member Posts: 5
    Talk to your electrician about the surge protector, sometime changes in amp draw when it changes stages will cause problems
    SuperTech
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Talk to your electrician about the surge protector, sometime changes in amp draw when it changes stages will cause problems
    Care to explain?
    mattmia2
  • DJohanson
    Locked rotor condition again; called the technician to investigate. While testing the compressor windings, found a loose spade connector on circuit board powering the condenser fan. Not sure why this wouldn't trigger a high pressure lockout instead of "locked rotor" but it's now trouble free for past 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for your comments!
    mattmia2ratioPC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Thanks for letting us know
    ratio