Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hz432

Hello, I'm a homeowner trying to heat/cool my garage on a budget in SW Florida. My Honeywell hz432 has 4 zones but only 3 are currently being used. Can I use the 4th zone for my garage? The garage is not used for storing any chemicals or a car, it's used as a golf simulator only. Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Can a car be pulled in? Then NO not legally. 
    Ironman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Small ductless. 
  • kramo
    kramo Member Posts: 2
    No room for a car. Is it possible to do what I'm asking though? Thanks
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I think what @pecmsg means is if there's a garage door (i.e. capable of getting a car in) then no, no matter how full the room may be.

In any case, the answer depends on whether or not the furnace & air conditioning have enough capacity to take on the additional load, along with incidentals like is there a path for the ductwork, etc., as well as what you consider comfortable. If there's an open zone on the panel, then it's at least mechanically possible to pipe that in to the system. If it will heat & cool that space in addition to the rest of the house…

My guess is there's a large chance that you'll be pretty dissatisfied with the result, and keep in mind that this will have an impact on the house as well. If the system is struggling, or near to struggling, now, it's only going to get worse as you try to pick up more load.

A small ductless will almost certainly give you the best comfort for the least cost.

Ironman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Can the existing system handle the fourth zone?
    Adding another branch duct for the garage zone, plus adding a return to the garage, plus running a thermostat wire and adding a thermostat, why wouldn't you go ductless?