Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

efficiency of hydronic vs forced air?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options
    JakeCK said:

Voyager said:

And a good many very sound scientists disagree with those who are climate alarmists and for good reason. 

Please provide sources and references. I suspect you are substantially over exaggerating both the number and quality of scientists who disagree with current accepted climate models and scientific consensus. 

Somewhat dated now, but well worth watching. Dr. Spencer is hardly a fake scientist. https://youtu.be/2GHlnjrZLUo
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    An opinion piece by a non scientist, classic. But this doesn't count. 

And Spencer and his buddy Christy's claims have been proven wrong multiple times. Like back in the 90's when they claimed the data showed the atmosphere was cooling. They were wrong. When it was peer reviewed errors were found and in fact the atmosphere was warming. Not cooling. And this pattern has been repeated many times with those two. They have a bad habit of cherry picking data and then getting called on it.
    Canucker
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Warming isn't really the problem, though it makes very good press and a very good living for some people. The problem has much more to do with exactly when the equilibrium of the remaining continental scale ice sheets shifts from net gain to net loss, and this shift is not reversible without a very significant temperature drop -- 5 decgrees C at a minimum for Greenland. The consensus among glaciologists is that we are very close to that condition and it is most likely that Greenland has crossed over. Antartica is considerably more difficult to model, but honestly it doesn't look good...

The problem, as I see it, with the whole climate change global warming climate denier screaming match is that people are paying a lot of attention to temperature -- and almost none to climate dynamics. There are many reasons for this, but, regrettably, I think the major one is that climate dynamics is genuinely hard, while a nifty graph of temperature is easily understood (and misunderstood) and can be put out in 140 characters or less.

I have no desire at all to get enmeshed in the entirely political problem and fight regarding adaptation to a different climate regime vs. asserting that mankind can avoid having it happen if only we ban this or shift to that. I happen to think that mankind has the capability to adapt, should he choose to use it and that he does NOT have the capability to avoid having to adapt (keep the shifts from happening). The sea level rise from Greenland is modest -- it will be about 2 meters over the next 50 years or so. The effect of shifting the Gulf Stream south, which the loss of the Greenland Ice Sheet will cause, is somewhat more dramatic.

Particularly if you like French wine...

I'm glad there are at least a few other people who are still around programming in Fortran. It's not that user interface is difficult, as such, provided one plays by the rules -- but other languages are better suited, in my opinion at least.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Of course mankind can adapt in time, but I doubt our society will. We are going to suffer a mass die off just like every other species has when an unfavorable change in the environment occured. We just happened to be the architect of those changes.  

A good example of how precarious our way of life is, is the 30% of the worlds wheat production that has been removed from market in just the past month by a single event. Not climate related though
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    SOOO, Is it hydronic or forced air? :)
    ChrisJJUGHNEmrhemi
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Shane_2 said:

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Shane_2 said:

Both. The atmosphere is forced air, but the oceans play a major role and they are hydronic. As to efficiency, well…

delcrossvSolid_Fuel_ManJakeCK
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    This has turned into one of the most interesting threads! Derailed or not. 

The good and the bad about internet forums...we never really know who is behind the keyboard. Here on HH there certainly appears to be some of the most intelligent people who have more passions than just HVAC. 

Several other forums I'm on it isn't so....many useless posts and random gobbledygook which any real pro can se straight through. 

This place makes me think and read. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,307
    Options
    That said, we've gone off track here and this thread has run its course on a very hot topic. I'm going to wrap it up while we're all still friends. Thanks.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

pecmsgBennyVSolid_Fuel_Man
This discussion has been closed.