Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"A bit of work in your apartment."

2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,134
    KC_Jones said:

JUGHNE said:

wmgeorge said:

I seem to remember the Chicago fire being in the 1800's?

Great memory, I don't remember much before 1900. >:)

Omaha has their own addendum to the NEC of no Romex exposed in the basement.

My house would fail miserably with that standard.
    I guess our houses were worked on by lesser people than these guys.
    I'll go hang my head in shame.

Wonder what's for dinner tonight.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    delcrossvJUGHNE
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,372
    JUGHNE said:

wmgeorge said:

So then only where it is concealed and you can't see if it is damaged....
    delcrossvwmgeorge
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 869
    mattmia2 said:

JUGHNE said:

wmgeorge said:

Probably thinking the wall cavity is a "protective enclosure" 🙄
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    delcrossv said:
    Great memory, I don't remember much before 1900. >:) Omaha has their own addendum to the NEC of no Romex exposed in the basement.
    To the rest of the world it is for plumbing, wiring etc.

;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • delcrossv
    ChrisJ said:

delcrossv said:

mattmia2 said:

JUGHNE said:

wmgeorge said:

;)

Talking about the Omaha code. That's the only thing that would seem to make sense.

I'd find this worrysome.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    delcrossv said:
    delcrossv said:
    Great memory, I don't remember much before 1900. >:) Omaha has their own addendum to the NEC of no Romex exposed in the basement.

;)
    Talking about the Omaha code. That's the only thing that would seem to make sense. I'd find this worrysome.
    You feel that's the fault of NM-B?

I guess all of the improperly piped steamers are the fault of copper pipe.  ;)
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    I think we're so far off track I can't even see the original thread.

We need to fix that.

:/ 
    delcrossvmattmia2
  • delcrossv
    No matter how "nice" it's done, it's still exposed cable and quite subject to mechanical damage.

To follow your analogy, if the steam boiler weren't piped in copper, there wouldn't be any sweat joints to fail :)
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Well, now they can drill and tap one of those pipes and get free gas!

I am also amazed at the cleanliness that appears to be in the picture. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delcrossv
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    That would have been such a quick job with CSST....no joints! >:)
    delcrossv
  • wmgeorge
    wmgeorge Member Posts: 222
    I have been on construction jobs where if the gas fitter did that he would find his pipes in the way of an electricians SawzAll.
    Old retired Commercial HVAC/R guy in Iowa. Master electrician.
    delcrossv
  • ChrisJ
    wmgeorge said:
    I have been on construction jobs where if the gas fitter did that he would find his pipes in the way of an electricians SawzAll.
    Could end up smelly in there.

• delcrossv
    wmgeorge said:

Oops! Sorry dude, it "slipped". 🤣

Could have added excitement if the gas is on....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,128
    Not quite on the topic of Romex vs. conduit vs. BX type... but that installation reminds me a bit of an old shipbuilding joke: the trades operate on the olympic system. The tradesman who gets to the compartment first gets to run his stuff straight, and everyone else has to work around him. Great if the guy with 12 inch high pressure steam main is quick on his feet, but a little tough if it's sparky with a telephone cable...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delcrossvratio
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 509
     Pretty impressive, actually; all that work installed, pressure tested, inspected and approved in a few days!
    ratio
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Just pointing out a possible reason for Omaha's code.
    All i can say is would that never fly in Chicago, workmanlike or no. I think every residential basement in Chicagoland has stuff (usually clothes) hanging off conduit runs in the basement- which is why 2 hole straps are preferred by many for horizontal runs.

I'm curious if folks where romex is run exposed if you all see things hanging off romex runs. People being people.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    That ugly Romex panel is just that....ugly. However there isn't a real safety Hazzard there. Now if that same panel had 2 nice looking 1.5" EMT stubs out of it, that same number of circuits could be hidden within (against code of course) and the insulation cooking away in there, but it would look better.

Romex is not allowed in some types of buildings, not because it is unsafe, but because the PVC jacket makes toxic fumed when burned. But the plumber can run his PVC pipe in those buildings, but sparky has to run MC or conduit. 

What I don't like about MC is when guys break the jacket and cut it with dykes. Then that sharp piece ends up cutting into one or more of the conductors. We've all seen that. I always use my can-opener on MC cable, and not snap the jacket. 

delcrossv
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    They can remove it when they electrify the building!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    Supposed to use redheads on BX/MC cuts. (or at the very least wrap the ground wire around the cut and wrap around the armor for a few turns)-after you use a "can opener" Keeps the conductors away from the cut edge.

• mattmia2
    delcrossv said:

Supposed to use redheads on BX/MC cuts. (or at the very least wrap the ground wire around the cut and wrap around the armor for a few turns)-after you use a "can opener" Keeps the conductors away from the cut edge.

No, the anti short bushings are definitely required, you aren't allowed to just wrap the ground around it. Flex really needs to be cut square with a saw so that the shoulder in the fitting will protect the conductors.
    delcrossv
  • mattmia2
    delcrossv said:

I'm curious if folks where romex is run exposed if you all see things hanging off romex runs. People being people.

I have definitely seen stuff hanging off of romex. Less common than off of piping, but I have seen it.
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    @mattmia2 Are you talking Greenfield (cut square) or BX (cut longitudinally)? Two different animals.
    Greenfield:

• mattmia2
    delcrossv said:

@mattmia2 Are you talking Greenfield (cut square) or BX (cut longitudinally). Two different animals.

Greenfiled/flex/whatever the current slang in your region is. I think if I said greenfield in southeast Michigan unless it was an elderly electrician they would look at me funny.
    delcrossv
  • ChrisJ
    Isn't Greenfield just mc without wire
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    ChrisJ said:

Isn't Greenfield just mc without wire

Practically, yes. Code-wise No. They may make 3/8 greenfield, but I've never seen it. 1/2" and up is what's used. Wire fill follows EMT rules.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Greenfield is an old trade name for flexible metallic conduit. Basically MC without conductors in it yes. The red anti-shorts as we call them are not required with a listed fitting which has a nonconductive provision built in for MC. Like the push-in type which is commonly used on MC installations. I've put thousands of them in. 
    PC7060
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022

The red anti-shorts as we call them are not required with a listed fitting which has a nonconductive provision built in for MC. Like the push-in type which is commonly used on MC installations. I've put thousands of them in. 

Like these?

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    delcrossv said:
    The red anti-shorts as we call them are not required with a listed fitting which has a nonconductive provision built in for MC. Like the push-in type which is commonly used on MC installations. I've put thousands of them in. 
    Like these?
    Those are for Greenfeild...or flex...whatever it's called in your area. 

No, these are what I'm talking about

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,095
    Greenfield code name (flexible metallic conduit) is supposed to be cut straight across. I still cut it on an angle most of the time. Never owned a "can opener" I was taught to cut it with a hacksaw long before can openers were invented and saw no need to carry another tool. Have I ever cut the wires by accident? Of course!!!!

You don't have to use red heads with greenfield because after you cut it your supposed to deburr it. Using red heads with it is fine but not required.

newer BX since 1959 has the aluminum strip. (Stuff before 59 may not have the aluminum strip some call it "rat proof romex") It's not considered a ground wire but reduces the resistance of the armored jacket. Your supposed to use red heads with bx & MC because with wires in it you can't really debur it so the red heads are required. The change was made in 59 because that's when 3 wire grounding receptacles started to be required and the "Rat Proof" romex the ground isn't so good. The house I used to own was built in 55 and the original wire had both types of bx

With BX your supposed to put the red head on and using the aluminum strip to hold the red head in place and winding the strip back over the cable is good practise but not required

One violation I see a lot is when using MC or greenfield with an aluminum jacket you have to use a connector that squeezes the jacket. You can only use a set screw connector on flex with the steel jacket

BX the code calls "armored cable" or type AC cable
    MC is just called 'metal clad cable" or MC cable
    Liquid tight or sealtight (metal lined) is LFMC liquid tight flexible metal conduit
    Plastic sealtight is LFNC liquid tight flexible non metallic conduit

ratiodelcrossv
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022

Those are for Greenfeild...or flex...whatever it's called in your area. 

No, these are what I'm talking about

Nope. That's a BX connector. But you do need redheads for that one.

Those push in one ways are not popular here. Can't easily take them apart.

This is most common for Greenfield. (does not take a bushing).

Time for dinner!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Are we using BX and MC interchangeably? 

BX is old ungrounded stuff, MC is metal clad and is what is sold now. It has a ground and 2 or more other conductors. 

AC cable has the small aluminum wire which is thr dirty ground and the insulated green copper is the clean ground. Commonly referred to as Hispital cable here. 
    PC7060
  • ChrisJ
    This threads giving me a headache.

Follow NEC and keep your work tidy and your connections tight but not over tight and I'm happy.  I don't live in Chicago and never will so their specific codes don't dictate how I do things.

For example, if you live in Tennessee should you install footings by the rules in Anchorage?  Seriously?

wmgeorgedelcrossvSolid_Fuel_Man
  • delcrossv
    Are we using BX and MC interchangeably? 

No one sells ungrounded cable, so the name has been applied to the grounded version.
    No one goes into a supplier and asks for 12/2 MC. Probably would elicit a quizzical look from the counterman.  
    Must be a regional thing.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    Just to steer this away from giving ChrisJ more headaches, is all that gas?? piping.
    This must not be one of those apartment buildings slated for heat pumps.

What does it feed??
  • mattmia2
    ranges would be my guess. maybe gas furnaces.
  • mattmia2
    the thing is much of this steers in to the part of code that says according to manufacture's instructions.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,095
    LOL!!