Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"A bit of work in your apartment."

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
edited February 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Friends were going aways for a few days. The landlord said, "While you're gone, we have to do a bit of work in your apartment." This is what they saw when they got home.

Note the care taken around the thermostat and light switch.

Retired and loving it.
wmgeorgeLS123CLambdelcrossvChrisJSolid_Fuel_ManRobert O'BrienSuperTech

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    LOL. The guy new how to pipe though!!! Looks good!!!

Smile. Look at all the free heat they are getting!!

Now if they fir in the wall and ceiling it will be ok. They can move the stat and light switch out onto the new furred wall
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    So I presume the pipes are heating pipes. Uninsulated, exposed, and next to their thermostat? Great stuff!
    wmgeorgeCLambSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    An odd number of black pipes makes me think gas. Crazy!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbeskcopp
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,766
    What is the end game here?
    Move the switches?
    Move the thermostat?
    What are the pipes for?

So many questions from one picture.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    I suspect they're gas pipes. I feel sorry for the electrician who has to get at that light switch if they're going to box this in, which I imagine they will.
    Retired and loving it.
    bburdLS123CLamb
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,348
    Yikes!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,133
    Did they need to vacuum or anything when they got home?
    The second thing I looked at was for mess / dust on the floor.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    They took that pic as soon as they walked in.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,128
    Wow. At least the workmanship looks good and neat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rick in AlaskadelcrossvSolid_Fuel_Man
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 869
    Pipefitters not talking to the Electricians.....AGAIN.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    bucksnortZmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    The quality of the work is still good.

Maybe the electricians didn't show up
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,492
    Hi, Makes me wonder what a lot of work would have looked like. :#

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,296
    I suspect they're gas pipes. I feel sorry for the electrician who has to get at that light switch if they're going to box this in, which I imagine they will.
    Yes, I expect there will be a junction box on the reverse side of the wall before it’s all done. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    The electrician in me wouldn't be happy but it will be T & M so the owner will pay. The thermostat is a cinch.

The two light switches (and I am assuming they will box this in) they will just have to destroy some of the old sheetrock to get at the wire. It will be an ugly mess because the wires probably won't reach where they have to go.

They do have some new splicing gizmo's for romex that you can legally bury in the wall.

Or maybe the cheap owner will stud it and sheet rock it and leave too holes so you can reach in to get at the stat and switch LOL B)
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609

The electrician in me wouldn't be happy but it will be T & M so the owner will pay. The thermostat is a cinch.

The two light switches (and I am assuming they will box this in) they will just have to destroy some of the old sheetrock to get at the wire. It will be an ugly mess because the wires probably won't reach where they have to go.

They do have some new splicing gizmo's for romex that you can legally bury in the wall.

Or maybe the cheap owner will stud it and sheet rock it and leave too holes so you can reach in to get at the stat and switch LOL B)

I'll bet they flip that box to the other side of the wall and use it as a junction box then extend the circuits to a new switch box in the new wall.
    If the sparky is 1/2 as good as the pipefitter, they will have it finished in no time. I would want to be a home for that one, here is no saying what the landlord will do next. :*
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    PC7060mattmia2
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    @EBEBRATT-Ed ROMEX ?!? :o
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,461
    What in Tarnation is going on here. 

I'd be pitching a b**** fit over that. 
  • ChrisJ
    delcrossv said:

There's nothing wrong with NM-B wiring when used appropriately.

If you're planning on surface mounting it it across a concrete wall in a shop I'd recommend against it.
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    ChrisJ said:

delcrossv said:

If you're planning on surface mounting it it across a concrete wall in a shop I'd recommend against it.
    Not here it's not. :open_mouth:
    YMMV.
  • ChrisJ
    delcrossv said:

ChrisJ said:

delcrossv said:

Not here it's not. :open_mouth:
    Are you in a different dimension or something where NM-B doesn't behave the same?
    It's literally THHN wire wrapped in a PVC jacket.

If code where you are doesn't allow it, that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's a bad product.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • delcrossv
    Not another dimension, Just Cook County, Illinois. No romex allowed.
    I'm always bemused that it's allowed in multifamily structures elsewhere. Sure, it works fine, until a tenant puts a nail though it. ;)
  • ChrisJ
    delcrossv said:

I'm always bemused that it's allowed in multifamily structures elsewhere. Sure, it works fine, until a tenant puts a nail though it. ;)

You can put a nail through MC and BX as well.
    And EMT if you try even a little.

Same with copper pipes, pex etc.

As @Steamhead always says, you can't fix stupid and in those cases NM-B isn't the problem if it's installed in walls down the approx center of studs. When properly installed as per NEC normal picture hanging nails etc shouldn't be anywhere near NM-B.
    wmgeorge
  • DanHolohan
    Just got confirmation that it's gas pipe. I hope they put up a permanent sign about nails and screws once they box it in.

Or maybe they won't box it in. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
    CLamb
  • delcrossv
    ChrisJ said:

delcrossv said:

You can put a nail through MC and BX as well.
    And EMT if you try even a little.

Same with copper pipes, pex etc.

As @Steamhead always says, you can't fix stupid and in those cases NM-B isn't the problem if it's installed in walls down the approx center of studs. When properly installed as per NEC normal picture hanging nails etc shouldn't be anywhere near NM-B.
    Easier with MC, which is part of why it's not code here. IMO it's main attraction is ease of installation.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    Some have used 3 1/2" nails for hanging pictures, they are certain they are driving it in the center of the stud. Wrong, just on the edge and at an angle coming out the side of stud into the cable. If it just penetrates the black (hot) wire then only the nail is energized, possibly the picture and wall (especially plaster) are "tingly".
    GFCI and AFCI may trip.

But AC, MC and EMT with the metallic sheathing would most likely trip the breaker.

Rodents can have the same effect as the nail.

Squirrels (rats with pretty tails) like the NM sheathing on Romex. Have seen it in an attic, chewed down to both bare copper Hots on 240 V line, no dead squirrel near by.

So the metallic raceway wins out in these cases.
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    Also, EMT or rigid conduit makes it easy to add circuits or replace decayed wire.. :)
  • JUGHNE
    And you find that nail penetration immediately! :o
    delcrossv
  • ChrisJ
    Why stop there? Go with GRC.

EMT is the cheap cost cutting solution. If you insist on going with conduit, might as well go all the way.
    delcrossvSolid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    It it GRC or RGC?

In either case fun to be had by all.....if T & M.

Have done enough of it to know I am thankful that EMT was developed.
    delcrossv
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2022
    JUGHNE said:

It it GRC or RGC?

In either case fun to be had by all.....if T & M.

Have done enough of it to know I am thankful that EMT was developed.

Galv Rigid Conduit.
    I guess you can order it anyway you want. ;)

I'll stick with NM-B where I feel it's safe and both PVC conduit and EMT where I feel necessary.
    I'm very glad I don't live in an area that felt they needed to ban a perfectly acceptable product.

In the shop we use a lot of GRV.
    wmgeorgeSolid_Fuel_Man
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    Chicago has unusual codes because of the fire. In other areas the type of building usually dictates if romex is acceptable or not. Buildings that are smaller, easier to fight fires in and further away from other buildings usually can have romex.

Does the rent go down for the 3 ft^2 that they no longer have?
    delcrossv
  • KC_Jones
    mattmia2 said:
    Chicago has unusual codes because of the fire. In other areas the type of building usually dictates if romex is acceptable or not. Buildings that are smaller, easier to fight fires in and further away from other buildings usually can have romex. Does the rent go down for the 3 ft^2 that they no longer have?

If they are owners, does someone reimburse them for the amount their property was devalued?  I know the answer, but stuff like this leaves me scratching my head.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • JUGHNE
    The NEC uses the term "RMC" .....rigid metal conduit.
    Options are galvanized....stainless steel....aluminum and of course..... red brass.

(Never seen red brass RMC, for direct burial and swimming pools it says)

From my outdated 2014 NEC.

Common term is just "rigid"
    delcrossv
  • wmgeorge
    wmgeorge Member Posts: 222
    edited February 2022
    Chicago - Cook County is a good Union town, same in parts of Minnesota No Romex!! In spite of the fact its NEC approved and has been for years and years.

Can you name a house that has burned down because of it, and was installed to Code?

I seem to remember the Chicago fire being in the 1800's?
    Old retired Commercial HVAC/R guy in Iowa. Master electrician.
    ChrisJSolid_Fuel_Man
  • delcrossv
    edited February 2022
    Brass rigid conduit looks just like brass water pipe. Priced accordingly. Even around here, people just run galvanized rigid down to 3' below grade, put on an ell and run armored UM cable. I've only seen brass used for pool lights.

Aluminum is popular for service drops.
  • JUGHNE
    wmgeorge said:

Great memory, I don't remember much before 1900. >:)

Omaha has their own addendum to the NEC of no Romex exposed in the basement.

delcrossvCLamb
  • delcrossv
    Lol. We call it zip cord. :D
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2022
    delcrossv said:

Lol. We call it zip cord. :D

Zip cord is called zip cord because it's easily separated like a zipper. Here, we call zip cord, zip cord.
    So, not sure what to say.

Ha, ha, you made a funny. ;)
    delcrossvmattmia2
  • KC_Jones
    JUGHNE said:

wmgeorge said:

Great memory, I don't remember much before 1900. >:)

Omaha has their own addendum to the NEC of no Romex exposed in the basement.

My house would fail miserably with that standard.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40