Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The icicle

Henry
Henry Member Posts: 998

When the weather gets cold -21F and it get slightly humid, I get this from my York full mode furnace. This one is the largest in the past 12 winters
CLambLS123CorktownZmanSuperTech

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited January 2022
    That is one strange termination. Along with is that the supply air termination?
    Vegas
  • Henry
    Reducing the outlet to 1.5 from 2, increases the exit velocity. It is supposed to prevent this. I did work in the lab around 1997 for Lennox. This was the solution and in their I & O manuals the following year. The large rectangular piece is the outlet from my Jenn-air stove. The small outlet is from my HTP modulating, condensing hot water tank.
    LS123
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Looks like electrical PVC conduit & CPVC? Not sweep 90°s either.

Pretty impressive, nonetheless!

PC7060
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    Look at the cool snow pattern on the table and chair.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    MikeAmann said:

The table looks like someone peeled a giant oreo.

steve
    LS123SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    What's the piece on the end of the vent? Muffler? Did it come with the furnace?
    Is that yellow piping the gas line? Top notch.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Henry
    FYI it s PVC sch 40. There is nothing in the certified instruction manual or code that says one needs long sweep 90s. I have a steel beam going across to the left of the gas pipe. I had to be creative to bring it to the fire pit. BTW there is a sleeve going through and it is sealed. It will be covered with open ended aluminum covering as per our code in the spring. The St Lawrence valley has strange humidity and we get a lot of very cold and humid days and nights. There were a number of manufacturers that sent equipment to be tested in our environment.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    That is one beautiful dog ice sculpture :)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    MikeAmann said:

Looks like a meringue pie
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Is the one next to it the intake? Is that setup to funnel rain and snow into the intake? ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2Rich_49
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    LOL! I noticed our concentric vent had a short ice "goatee"
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    To rid yourself of the ice-capade, build an enclosure around the offedng pipe work. Do not forget to heat the space so ice will not form in the enclosure,

Jake
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    If that's a 6" lap on the siding, there's about 4' of flue exposed to the cold. I think I'd try some insulation around it to see if we couldn't keep it warm enough that the moisture dissipates (or at least snows) instead of immediately freezing.
    rick in Alaska
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Isn't it supposed to be pitched to drain back to the appliance?
  • jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    mattmia2 said:

Isn't it supposed to be pitched to drain back to the appliance?

Yeah, but there is still going to be some water in the flue exhaust. Maybe enough to freeze like that? I get some frozen condensate on my exhaust plate - meanwhile my condensate drain line is a constant drippage of water.

John
  • ChrisJ
    I like how Henry just posted a "side effect" of very cold temperatures and everyone's trying to fix a problem he doesn't have.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Rich_49CLambZmanSuperTech
  • Zman
    ChrisJ said:

I like how Henry just posted a "side effect" of very cold temperatures and everyone's trying to fix a problem he doesn't have.

On the same note, this is not my job, I know it has issues, this is a cool ice formation on a random house that I will not be fixing. B)
    Albert Einstein
    SuperTechSolid_Fuel_Man
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    has that installation changed the maximum expected snow line and now does not meet code?
  • Zman
    I see a modified concentric with an uninsulated extension as well as no bird screen. It's probably too close to the window and the meter as well.
    I honestly was just admiring the art. Just like the dog with the long skinny neck @Henry posted, I can't imagine how those 2 boilers produced such perfect molar teeth. :'(
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Perhaps pitched the wrong way and cond water not returning to inside unit for draining?

Never seen the screen before around the pipes near the house. Can anyone elaborate?
  • Zman
    I think they pulled apart a concentric and extended it.

Once again, we are here to view the ice artwork, not to fix someone else's system :o
    Albert Einstein
  • Henry

Bird screen is not required. There are several manufacturers of condensing equipment that will permit uninsulated exposed vents including HTP and Lennox among others. As can be seen in this picture, the exhaust gases are accelerated away from the structure. The short 1.5 inch reduction acts as a spray nozzle of a garden hose. This prevents damage to the siding.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Henry said:
    The short 1.5 inch reduction acts as a spray nozzle of a garden hose. This prevents damage to the siding.
    Yes but is it approved by the manufacturer?
    I personally have never seen the exhaust reduced.
  • Zman
    HVACNUT said:

Henry said:

The short 1.5 inch reduction acts as a spray nozzle of a garden hose. This prevents damage to the siding.

Yes but is it approved by the manufacturer?
    I personally have never seen the exhaust reduced.

Some people just can't appreciate fine art! o:)
    Albert Einstein
    HVACNUTbucksnort
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Reducing the exhaust pipe size was a trick by Lennox on the old pulse furnaces as I recall
    jim s_2
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Reducing the exhaust pipe size was a trick by Lennox on the old pulse furnaces as I recall
    It's been a while since the last time I worked on a Pulse, but didn't Lennox increase then reduce the flue pipe on the Pulse? I think it would come off the furnace with 2" then increase to 3" and it would be 2" again at the termination. I think it was an attempt to reduce noise but I could be wrong. 
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2022
    Wouldn't the unit alarm out if the exhaust was too restrictive?
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 113

Yep,their exhaust termination kits included a 2"x11/2" pvc reducer along with a short piece of 11/2" pipe.
    SuperTech